PDA

View Full Version : Folding on the end when you can't imagine you're ahead.

Acesover8s
05-12-2004, 06:03 PM
10-20 online game.

I am in the BB with QhKd. There is a MP poster, and then the cutoff limps in. SB calls and I check.

Flop comes Ac Qc 4d. Checked to me and I bet, MP and CO call. SB folds.

The turn is an A of hearts. I bet and only the CO calls.

River is a low club. I check, he bets. I don't make a big habit of folding on the river, but realistically am I ahead of anything here?

Nate tha' Great
05-12-2004, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
10-20 online game.

I am in the BB with QhKd. There is a MP poster, and then the cutoff limps in. SB calls and I check.

Flop comes Ac Qc 4d. Checked to me and I bet, MP and CO call. SB folds.

The turn is an A of hearts. I bet and only the CO calls.

River is a low club. I check, he bets. I don't make a big habit of folding on the river, but realistically am I ahead of anything here?

[/ QUOTE ]

QJ? QT? Broadway draw? It doesn't look like he has an ace. He might well have a flush, but I feel just a teeny tiny bit better since both the A and the Q suited are exposed, and something like KcJc or KcTc would probably have raised the flop.

Yeah. Check-and-call. Since when did online opponents quit calling down with second pair?

rigoletto
05-12-2004, 06:25 PM
You basically induced his bet, so unless you have specific knowledge of your opponent you call.

James282
05-12-2004, 06:28 PM
I would never fold in this spot. He didn't raise the turn when the next A came, couldn't he easily have a PP lower than your queens, a worse queen, or even be bluffing a missed draw? You have the nut no-ace, this call is mandatory.
-James

rigoletto
05-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Uhm... the flush came on the river!

James282
05-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Obviously. Did he have his cards face up? What about him calling the flop and turn makes you believe he was drawing to a flush and not just calling down with a worse queen, a straight draw, a middling pocket pair or the bottom pair on the board? If you check-fold on the river when it's heads up in these spots you are playing much too weakly IMO, especially when the pot is laying you 6.5:1.
-James

rigoletto
05-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Easy now... I also advocated a call (look above). Your first post just make me think you missed the flush aspect, which swings it from a very easy call to an easy call.

onegymrat
05-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi Aces,

I think the predicament that you're in was brought on by your river check. Let's assume that you do not have a read on your opponent, so we can eliminate all the "It depends..." answers.

If you chose to bet this hand from the beginning, why did you check at the river? You are representing an ace and backed off at the end. If I were the CO and not having a good read on you, I would most certainly bet the river if checked to headsup regardless of what I was holding.

In this odd situation, this is a clear check-fold on the flop, or bet all the way through.

But since you are in this spot, it would all depend on if you're feeling lucky. Since it's headsup, I would call.

rigoletto
05-12-2004, 07:19 PM
If I were the CO and not having a good read on you, I would most certainly bet the river if checked to headsup regardless of what I was holding.

A very good reason for him to check the river!

Nightwish
05-12-2004, 07:35 PM
The river check is perfect. He can't call a raise and a missed draw won't call his bet, so the right action is to check and induce a bet from a worse hand.

onegymrat
05-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Hi Rigoletto,

Don't get me wrong, I know what you mean. Aces may have induced a bluff bet. But the fact that this question of whether to call or not is presented seems rather unusual. Calling should be automatic.

If you do have the "nut" non-trips/flush hand, then why risk a check. It is headsup. The chances of the villain calling the river bet is higher than the villain betting with second/third pair.

Personally, I feel he lost this hand badly and should not have bet at all. Logically, why else would the villain be calling? I only play live, so the online crazies are unfamiliar to me. Then again, I play at Commerce, CA. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rigoletto
05-12-2004, 07:52 PM
If you do have the "nut" non-trips/flush hand, then why risk a check

Most hands you beat would fold to your bet anyway, but some will bluff raise you and you don't like that.