PDA

View Full Version : When do you slow down after a flopped set?

Irishboy
05-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Irishboy is UTG with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Irishboy calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, Irishboy calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, <font color="purple"> </font> BB calls, Irishboy calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (15.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

River: (31.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Irishboy bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 34.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 34.25 BB, between MP3, Irishboy and UTG+2.</font>

Lost Wages
05-12-2004, 06:06 PM
When do you slow down after a flopped set?

If you always capped a multiway pot with a flopped set you would be playing correctly 99% of the time. Set over set will always cost you a pile of chips. You played the hand fine.

Lost Wages

Joe826
05-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I would be very happy with the cap on the flop and the turn. The only hand that has you beat on the flop is 88 and if MP3 has it then that's too bad. It looks like he is betting an overpair or a flush draw and UTG probably has AK or an overpair himself. I would have played it the same.

Clarkmeister
05-12-2004, 11:15 PM
I'd have checkraised the field on the flop. Why bet into the raiser? This is a benign board for you and no reason to scare the hands that are drawing dead.

Capping the turn is fine, since even if your opponent limp-capped the flop with something like 6h7h, or any other 67 hand (which made a straight on the turn), you aren't giving up much because of all the callers.

Irishboy
05-13-2004, 07:07 AM
I'm not checkraising the flop because: A. i don't want to give away the strength of my hand yet and none of my opponents will give me credit for a set when I bet anyway

and B. 2 bets still got 2 cold callers

maybe I will consider a checkraise, but it seems like it would make more sense to check-raise the turn if a non-flush card hits if you want to take a tricky approach

Irishboy
05-13-2004, 07:08 AM
MP3 has 88 for the flopped set UTG + 2 had AA

butters
05-13-2004, 09:17 AM
You're doing UTG+2 a favor when you bet into him on the flop, allowing him to raise and make the field face calling two cold.

[ QUOTE ]
and B. 2 bets still got 2 cold callers

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the time you're going to lose hands you want to call.

PokerBob
05-13-2004, 09:38 AM
IMO you played it perfectly with a bad result. Two questions I have are:
1.) Was MP3 correct to cold call 2 preflop with 88 considering that the pot easily could have been only 4-way?

2.) How does MP3 not raise the river?

pudley4
05-13-2004, 10:08 AM
This:

(Flop) MP calls 2, then caps.

Is usually a set.

I can't argue with capping the turn, but I may have just called the 3-bet and either bet or check-called the river.

I like checkraising the flop here as opposed to betting out.

I think MP3 played fine, even preflop. He has one coldcaller already, he has to expect you to call, and it's likely at least one of the blinds will come along too (they always do at Party 2/4 /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

bernie
05-13-2004, 10:15 AM
The main draws are coming along anyways. 2 bets cold isnt knocking them out. A c/r can also look like a c/r'd draw. Which if the preflop raiser is aware of this, will 3 bet facing the field with 2 cold which may bet out a weak gutshot, at most. Many will still call with weaker hands drawing near dead.

If you think anyone has the str8, the turn cap is borderline. After BB folds, you only have 3 players in on a 3.5-1 shot IF you have the full 10 outs. I wouldve called here. Im not as concerned about UTG as i am MP3. What is he likely to 3 bet the turn here with?

b

Irishboy
05-13-2004, 10:23 AM
88, when he 3-bet me on the turn I knew it was a set. My cap was a combination of tilt/disbelief. I felt confident UTG+2 was on a big pair and the other guy was on the flush draw but the turn 3 bet confirmed my hunch.

I lost one bet so it's not too big a deal and some times the guy will have a weaker set.

More and more I'm thinking the flop check-raise is the best play.