PDA

View Full Version : WHERE IS EQUAL COVERAGE OF BERG MURDER

trippin bily
05-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Elmwood keeps claming all the news outlets and people who are condeming the Berg murder. I cant find them on tv
here is a sample of todays news stories in order
2pm msnbc
1.prison photo scandal
2.kobe bryant
3.berg murder
4.new prison photos
5.panel discussion on prison photos
230 msnbc
1.prison photos
2.rumsfeld gettin grilled on prison photos-askin for more money
3.new prison photos
4.battle for white house-liz chaney
5.clinton talks about kerry
6.berg murder
7.leader of hezbollah denounces beheading 24 minutes into news cast( only leader all day to come on tv that ive seen)
300 cnn
1.prison photos
2.new photos
3.live coverage of new photos
4.reaction from berg family
5.senators talking about new photos
6.fidel casto-cuban economy is bushs fault
330 cnn
1.description of new prison photos from congress
2.description of new prison photos from senate
3.kerry accuses bush of gas price hikes
4.commercial
5.kerrys feelings on prison photos
6.rumsfeld grilled on photos
still watching now
havent mentioned berg murder yet
before yesterday the prison photos should have been the top story
can you honestly say that after the beheading...the prison photos are still the lead story?
can you honestly say the beheading story shouldnt be getting a whole lot more coverage?
cnn just came back from commercial...
story is who should be fired for prison photos...

jdl22
05-12-2004, 04:05 PM
I think the most interesting (ie worst) example you posted was Kobe Bryant. Why a rape trial that hasn't started yet is more important than any of the Iraq news including the photos, beheading, fighting, infrastructure work etc. is beyond me.

One place where the beheading has taken center stage is in Newspapers. I would guess more than 99% of the papers have an above the fold photo of either early parts of the video or of Berg's family members crying. While the prison photos story is probably also on the front in many papers it is certainly not the lead story.

edit: I just wanted to add that I think that one reason why the prison abuse story continues on television while the Berg story isn't getting as much air time is that the prison abuse story is ongoing whilst the Berg story is not. Furthermore, they can't/won't actually show the video on television so that is another key element.

nicky g
05-12-2004, 07:07 PM
The Berg murder was the top story on the Channel 4 evening news and the only London evening newspaper (all of the front page, several pages inside) today, and also curently on the Guardian website. That consititutes 100 percent of the news outlets I've seen since this afternoon, and two ofthem are traditionally considered as "left-wing". It is getting massive amounts of coverage over here. can't speak for American sources.

elwoodblues
05-12-2004, 11:34 PM
We must watch different news and read different papers. I just ran a search on a news service for the name Berg in the past 2 days --- over 1000 hits.

I was flipping around the various cable news channels this afternoon for five minutes (granted, I didn't start at the beginning of any program) --- in that five minute span EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM at least mentioned Berg - albeit some more in depth than others. To be fair, every single one of them also mentioned the prison photo scandal.

krazyace5
05-13-2004, 01:04 AM
What do you expect? They murdered the guy in cold blood in a despicable manner.

Jeesh, what more do you want? It is not like they photographed him naked or anything, now that is a story and a true outrage.

sfer
05-13-2004, 01:45 AM
It was the top story in the NY Times on Wednesday. Without looking at other papers, I'm fairly confident the same was true in the Washington Post, the WSJ, the LA Times, and the Boston Globe. The quality of the news you get is directly related to the source.

Cyrus
05-13-2004, 02:02 AM
You got there first, I was ready to post the results of my search and they are like yours : The Berg murder got (rightly) extensive, almost blanket coverage, around the world. In fact, it made more front pages than the photos of the Iraqi prison abuses!

But where is the rest of the story? Is no one digging any further?

Berg was held by the Iraqi police for 13 days - why? The Americans obviously knew and allowed this. Something was going on but what? Then the Iraqis let him go and sensibly Berg tries to get out of the country, suspecting, as anyone would too, that the Iraqi police must be infiltrated by the Iraqi resistance or have contacts with them or leaking info to them. Which made Berg a sitting duck.

Why was Berg held by the Iraqis? Who were the Iraqis responsible for Berg's stay in jail? Why did they release him? Why did the American embassy not help him get out?

krazyace5
05-13-2004, 05:04 AM
I agree that there seems to be more to this story, also the US offered to help him leave but he turned them down saying he would drive to Kuwait, apparently he thought it was not safe using the airstrip in Baghdad and safer on his own?

GWB
05-13-2004, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was the top story in the NY Times on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being the top story for one day means little. Terroristic murder is a bigger story than minor abuse, and deserves more coverage over the next month - but the liberal media will drop the ball here.

[ QUOTE ]
Without looking at other papers, I'm fairly confident the same was true in the Washington Post, the WSJ, the LA Times, and the Boston Globe. The quality of the news you get is directly related to the source.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - only mention the liberal newspapers. What does that say about the quality of the news you are willing to believe?

jdl22
05-13-2004, 08:02 AM
The problem with what you are saying is that there won't be any more story in the next month. It was one event. At some point perhaps we will catch the people that did it and that too will be front page news. At some point his body will be returned home and there will be a funeral and that will be a story. This was clearly more gruesome but the prison abuse story has legs because there is a daily investigation of it and the extra photos haven't been released by the Bush administration which leads to more speculation.

elwoodblues
05-13-2004, 08:48 AM
This is exactly right. For the most part, the Berg story isn't a developing one like the prisoner story is (note that the White House could take some of the wind out of the sails on the prisoner story by seeing to it that all photos are released at once).

I think this is what Trippin Bily wants:

Monday: Top story Berg Murder
Tuesday: Top story - reminder that Berg was Murdered
Wednesday: Top story - reminder that Berg was Murdered
Thursday: Top story - digitally enhanced video of Berg Murder
Friday: Top story - The Berg Murder: A week in perspective

If nothing new happens there isn't much news to report. It would almost be as though the media would be creating news (something that is routinely criticized by the blame the media first crowd).

sfer
05-13-2004, 09:11 AM
I have 3.5 points to make. One, GWB, you're a moron for trying to impersonate a moron. Have higher aspirations. Two, coverage of Berg's family is on the front page of the Times again. Three and a half, the WSJ Editorial Page was home to supply side economics and the infamous Laffer curve. The Times kept Whitewater alive for a year with in-depth stories about H. Clinton's ties to Tyson foods. The blah, blah liberal media complaint is crap.

GWB
05-13-2004, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 3.5 points to make. One, GWB, you're a moron for trying to impersonate a moron. Have higher aspirations. Two, coverage of Berg's family is on the front page of the Times again. Three and a half, the WSJ Editorial Page was home to supply side economics and the infamous Laffer curve. The Times kept Whitewater alive for a year with in-depth stories about H. Clinton's ties to Tyson foods. The blah, blah liberal media complaint is crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't suffered any bad beats lately have you? No need to blow a gasket.

First, So two days of NY Times coverage makes a trend? They will drop it soon, but not the anti-US stuff.

Second, Covering the Berg family is not the same thing as covering the beheading. The family sadly has misrepresented many facts about the US military in Iraq - so the Times is already back on the anti-US attack.

Third, You were discussing the top story of the day (and news reports go on the front page), so why bring up the WSJ editorial page? The WSJ front page is run separately and is quite liberal.

Finally, when was the last time the NY Times, LA Times, or Wash. Post endorsed a conservative for President. Actions of the liberal media speak louder than words.

Helpful Hint: Try reading some more balanced news coverage.

smudgex68
05-13-2004, 10:33 AM
I try to keep up with world news but:

[ QUOTE ]
2pm msnbc
1.prison photo scandal
2.kobe bryant
3.berg murder
4.new prison photos

[/ QUOTE ]
Who is Kobe Bryant, and what is the new prison?

[ QUOTE ]
4. battle for white house-liz chaney

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this Lon Chaney's widow or am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
Fidel Castro - Cuban economy is Bush's fault

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not news

[ QUOTE ]
1.rumsfeld grilled

[/ QUOTE ]
More food advertising!

jdl22
05-13-2004, 10:44 AM
That is one hilarious post. I'm not sure whether it's funnier (word?) if you are serious or joking.

elwoodblues
05-13-2004, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally, when was the last time the NY Times, LA Times, or Wash. Post endorsed a conservative for President. Actions of the liberal media speak louder than words.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the endorsements done by the editorial board? I thought the editorial pages were separate from the news pages...didn't you just make that point?

Ray Zee
05-13-2004, 04:31 PM
the papers up here in montana have him plastered all over. he is still big time news. but today they also have new info about him that is different from what his family claimed and what was originally posted. there is always more to the story than meets the eye.

trippin bily
05-14-2004, 01:31 PM
yes elmwood that is what i want. I want the story to recieve the same moral outrage that the prison photo story has. I also noticed you all mentioned newspapers or internet searchs as your sources to prove the coverage of the berg story. None i say none of you mentioned a single t v news network. Elmwood said he surfed throught the channels and saw they all mentioned it once. Thanks for making my point again. If you look at my post you will see I cronicled the mentions on the story. Most people get their news from t v. No argument can be made. that is a fact.
it is the reason I went to the t v.
The story deserves more coverage than the prison photos.
It is far worse that anything that happened in the prison under our control.
people like elmwood only want stories to run that make the usa look bad or the current administartion.
anyhting that makes our enemies look like the animals they are is just propaganda in their world.

elwoodblues
05-14-2004, 01:42 PM
If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.

I only provided evidence of new sources that I either witnessed first-hand or could easily collect data on. Fortunately, my job gives me access to THOUSANDS of news sources. Unfortunately, tv news isn't as easily cataloged or researched; thus, I could only provided anecdotal evidence in that regard (as could you, but apparently your anecdotal evidence is somehow better than mine).

[ QUOTE ]
people like elmwood only want stories to run that make the usa look bad or the current administartion

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never said, nor suggested as such - notwithstanding your attempts to either twist my position or your lack of desire to even find out what it is (it's much easier to just guess).

I think the Berg story is important. It should be getting a lot of media attention. I think it is getting the appropriate amount of attention. I also think the prisoner story is important. It, too, deserves a lot of media attention. Because the prisoner story is more of a developing story than the Berg murder, it is likely to stay in the headlines for longer than the Berg murder.

One last thing --- it's elwood (no "m"). Not a big deal, but it pains me as a Blues Brothers fan that you didn't know that /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

andyfox
05-14-2004, 03:08 PM
I think the story deserves more coverage than it has gotten as well. In particular, I see no coverage of the fact that there was no evidence for the presence of Al-Qaeda in Iraq before 9/11; of the fact that bin Laden, in one of his tapes, said that Al-Qaeda would temporarily align itself with the "infidel" regime in Iraq, since the enemy of his enemy would be his friend; and that after all this, an American is beheaded by Al-Qaeda in Iraq.