PDA

View Full Version : Hole in my education

StellarWind
05-12-2004, 03:46 PM
I'm in late position in a loose game. Several people have called in front of me. My hand is Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/spade.gif or 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif or 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Something with fat implied odds that is really happy to see all those limpers.

I get the impression that many good players raise in this situation. Not as a trick or image play, but as their normal play. I've also heard the term "real estate raise" which seems to be related.

I've never seen a solid explanation of this. I don't know when to make this play and even worse I don't know why.

Can someone explain this concept?

pudley4
05-12-2004, 04:03 PM
With suited connectors, you'll win slightly more than your 'fair share' of hands, so raising preflop is slightly +EV. You may also get the benefit of having the flop checked to you, so you can take a free card with a marginal draw (or the free card can even give you a draw on the turn).

With a small pocket pair, you'll win slightly less than your fair share, but again you may get a free turn card (which may give you the set). Additionally, if you do flop a set, the larger pot may entice players who are drawing dead or nearly-dead to continue chasing overcards or their presumed 5-outers (when they flop a pair)

J.R.
05-12-2004, 04:05 PM
...but a hand that will win more than its fair share should seek to exploit its current edge, unless for strategic reasons it can likely gain more later though the exercise of preflop restraint.

This isn't bad (http://slicer.headsupclub.com:3455/16/54)

good too (http://slicer.headsupclub.com:3455/16/29)

a related preflop idea (http://slicer.headsupclub.com:3455/16/23)

Lost Wages
05-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Agree with this, plus a raise in LP may buy you the button.

The main reason to raise with a small pocket pair is to entice others to chase when you do flop a set. If players stay with thier hands too long anyway ( typical in a loose game) then the raise is incorrect.

Lost Wages

StellarWind
05-12-2004, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agree with this, plus a raise in LP may buy you the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like having the button. Still, if I were Cutoff wouldn't it often be more profitable to let Button keep the button?

I'm thinking mainly of a small pocket pair where I hope to flop a made hand and charge as many suckers as I can get.

With suited connectors I can see that the button could be invaluable if I flop a draw.

This suggests the idea that suited connectors could push the envelope from cutoff but small pocket pairs should be conservative in this seat. Logical?

Lost Wages
05-12-2004, 06:00 PM
This suggests the idea that suited connectors could push the envelope from cutoff but small pocket pairs should be conservative in this seat. Logical?

Yea, pretty much what I said. When playing against chasers don't raise with a small pocket pair, see the flop cheap. The button/possible free card isn't going to do you much good.

One other thing and that is that raising makes your hand eaiser to play:
1) Showing strength may give you a chance to win without a showdown.
2) It generally makes your opponents actions eaiser to interpret.

Lost Wages

Clarkmeister
05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking mainly of a small pocket pair where I hope to flop a made hand and charge as many suckers as I can get.

With suited connectors I can see that the button could be invaluable if I flop a draw.

Yea, pretty much what I said. When playing against chasers don't raise with a small pocket pair, see the flop cheap. The button/possible free card isn't going to do you much good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want to note that the free card is much more useful for the small pair. Its always one card away from becoming a monster made hand.