PDA

View Full Version : Steal raise called - what's the play?

Peter Harris
05-12-2004, 08:56 AM
A non 2+2 but strong player asked me the following. I was wondering what common concensus is. Will post results and what my play would be later!

Late in a SNG 5 players you have around 2000 chips and are SB. BB has 2200.

Blinds are 50,100.

folded to you with QJo
raise 250 (to 300) happy to fold if reraised and BB just callls.

flop is A 10 8 rainbow. Whats the plan?

Peter Harris

Big Mo
05-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Bet out 4X.

unfrgvn
05-12-2004, 11:04 AM
I think what I do here depends a lot on two things, my prior actions and the BB's prior actions. If he has folded a lot then I think I bet about 300 and see if I can take it right here. You represented an Ace preflop, now that an ace has come I don't think it is wrong to bet it. If he calls you still have 8 outs to the nut str8. On the other hand, if I have managed to trap someone earlier in the tourny by checking a big hand, I might check here and see if I can get a free card. If the str8 card comes, I would check it again and see if I can induce a bluff.

JMHO

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-12-2004, 01:16 PM
I've found most people make calls like this with either middle pairs JJ-77 or with weak aces.

If he checks, bet 60-75% of the pot. If he makes that size bet, you have to decide if he'll pay off if you hit your double-belly-buster.

William Wilson
05-13-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm a beginner, so take my advice as such.

I would bet the pot. If you're going to drive him out, you've got to put some meat behind it. If he doesn't have an ace, a set, or two pair here, he can't call.

If you get reraised, dump. If you get called, hit the skids.

My thinking is, if you're going to steal, either do it or get crippled trying. You could check the flop, of course, but if you bet it hard, he might think twice about your raise preflop.

Experts, I'm open for criticism.

Bill