PDA

View Full Version : First online experince and some questions.

JTrue
05-12-2004, 04:39 AM
I played for the first time online tonight on Party Poker, overall it was a good experience. I played .5-1 for about 4 hours and averaged 6.5 blinds per hour. The table I sat at was filled with almost all loose passive players. I had a hard time reading some of these players since they don't bet out unless they have a monster. Another reason I probably had a hard time reading players is because most of them will play anything and call raises cold with anything. Since my bankroll is minimal I think I am going to stick to .5-1 for a while and build it up before I step up to 1-2 or maybe 2-4. I usually play 2-4 or 3-6 at B&M but I understand most online players at these levels are better then B&M low limit players. Any tips or advice on how I should build my bankroll? How are the 5+1 sngs? Also does anyone know if the igmpay bonus still works?

CarlNiclas
05-12-2004, 08:55 AM
Although I haven't played B&M even close to as much as I have played online, the general verdict seems to be that online poker is a bit tougher at the equivalent levels. Regarding moving up - if you have a good bit of experience playing the game you might be able to step up pretty quickly.

However, take note of the main differences as they present you with a lot of pit falls. For example, since you play a lot more hands in a certain timeframe online than you do live, you will lose your money *much* faster if you play when you aren't doing your best. (If you're playing tired, a bit tipsy, or tilting etc).

Also, it is a bit more difficult spotting the real live ones online, as all you can judge them for is their play (and sometimes their chat). You'll get no clues that a player is there to GAMBOOL but for the way they are actually playing.

JTrue
05-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, I agree with playing when a person is not in the best physical or mental state, especially online since you can play anytime you want.

Lost Wages
05-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I played .5-1 for about 4 hours and averaged 6.5 blinds per hour.

The standard unit of measure around here is big bets/100 hands. Most small stakers play more than one table at a time so per hour varies by how many tables you are playing.

..had a hard time reading players is because most of them will play anything and call raises cold with anything

It is very difficult to put most players on a hand at .50/$1. That does not mean that higher limits are eaiser.

Since my bankroll is minimal I think I am going to stick to .5-1 for a while and build it up before I step up to 1-2 or maybe 2-4.

Standard bankroll is 300 big bets(BB) or $300 for .50/$1. That of course is for a winning player. Nothing wrong with playing on a shorter bankroll if you can simply replenish it if you go broke.

Any tips or advice on how I should build my bankroll?

Bonuswhores.com (http://www.bonuswhores.com), though you really need $500 to get started.

How are the 5+1 sngs?

A ripoff considering that for the same $1 juice you can play $10+1 for twice the payoff. Some sites (Ultimate Bet for example) have $5+.50 Sng's.

Get Pokertracker (http://www.pokertracker.com) if you haven't already. They have a free demo you that can try but you will want to but it.

Check-out the micro-limit forum, it's for limits up to and including $1/$2.

Lost Wages

Al_Capone_Junior
05-12-2004, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any tips or advice on how I should build my bankroll? How are the 5+1 sngs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible, given that the 10+1 sit and goes have a 50% smaller house vig, and all the same morons will be found in them.

al