PDA

View Full Version : Me and the limp re-raiser.

cold_cash
05-11-2004, 11:32 PM
I hadn't seen the CO do anything extraordinary.

I didn't 3-bet the flop because I was planning to check-raise the turn, but the Ace pretty much stole my thunder.

As soon as he 3-bet pre-flop I thought, "Oh crap." I haven't been limp re-raised very often, and I was expecting to see AA.

If an Ace hadn't come on the turn I was going to go full speed ahead. Is that usually a good line in this situation?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, between CO and Hero.</font>

How many mistakes?

Piiop
05-12-2004, 01:33 AM
I would 3-bet the flop, call if capped then bet out the turn. If he raises me on the turn then I can fold. The way you played it didn't get enough info from the opponent.

The limp-reraise from the CO is strange and it's very likely he has a big pair and wanted to keep the blinds in to try to win more. However, he could still have QQ, JJ, AK, or the other KK. That Ace is just as big a scare card for him if he has KK-TT. If you bet out and he raises then you can fold because you're beat for sure. However you opted to check-call, check-call which is not good. If you give him credit for having an A, you should fold. If you don't, then you should raise.

Also, I don't think there's any need to go for a check-raise on the turn when it was capped pre-flop, and he raised you on a raggedy flop.

cold_cash
05-12-2004, 02:09 AM
If I 3-bet the flop, call a cap, lead the turn and fold to a raise, I spend just as much as I would if I check/call, check/call, but I get to see a showdown, no?

Even with the Ace coming on the turn I don't want to fold if I can show it down without paying through the nose.

Piiop
05-12-2004, 03:20 AM
No, it won't be the same because of all those times that no A comes up and your opponent has AK, KK, QQ, or JJ.

Again, I don't think you needed to try to be tricky with a turn check-raise because of all the pre-flop action. I would 3-bet the flop and call a cap everytime. Once I've done this, the turn and river become a lot easier.

When the A does come on the turn, I can bet and fold to a raise and be happy about it. If the turn is another rag, I would bet out and 3-bet. If your opponent happens to have the unlikely KK you might even get him to fold here.

If an A comes on the river, I would check-call. If no ace came on the river with the turn being capped, I would either check-call, or bet/call depending on how aggressive the opponent is. If the turn wasn't capped, I bet out and call a raise.

I know what I'm going to do on the turn and river already because I'm using the information I gained from preflop and flop action. My goal is not go to showdown for the cheapest cost.

SoCalPat
05-12-2004, 03:28 AM
I've seen far worse hands LRR'ed than AA or AK. That said, I wouldn't try and match cuteness with this player. I would 3-bet the flop and see what your opponent does then.

Even if he caps the flop, I bet out the turn ... if the ace doesn't hit. If he raises me, then I slow down. But when the ace hits, I go into check-call mode all the way down. There are simply too many bad players who don't know how to LRR properly to give up for one bet when the ace hits.

Losing a bet on each street to AA heads up isn't a horrible thing. Folding the winner, however, is disastrous here. At these limits, there are simply too many other hands out there that your opponent could have that KK dominates. For those reasons, I call him down.

HajiShirazu
05-12-2004, 06:49 AM
I have mixed emotions about the ace. It is now much less likely for your opponent to have AA, the only hand that many players limp re-raise with. I don't see people do this with AK much. On the other hand Axo is probably just about as likely from my experience.
Hmm...let's see..."Party Poker 1/2 hold'em (10 handed)"...
Well, I would say that you're not always going to be up against AA here. I see this stuff done with odd hands like JTs all the time. You do say that CO is possibly a reasonable player. So your chances here are not as good. With that said if I am against AA as is likely against reasonable players I would like to find out on the flop rather than the turn and 3-betting the flop and then calling down after his cap or otherwise continuing to bet is less expensive. I don't think you can fold even after the ace hits. I think you'll see QQ, JJ, or lower pairs often enough on party to make calling down worthwhile.