PDA

View Full Version : Raising Pre-Flop When No One Folds

RPatterson
05-11-2004, 11:21 PM
I'm starting to question the validity of raising pre-flop with less than awesome stuff at the beginning of the tournament when it's impossible to steal the blinds. I hate it when I open-raise with AJs and then the big blind and the small blind call. K flops and that was alot of fun.

I mean at tables where you can re-raise pre-flop and someone will cold call it for half their stack should you really do much pre-flop raising with hands other than QQ-AA and AK?

Near the end when the blinds get bigger people finally start folding and it's fine. But at the beginning when there are 10 chip big blinds no one folds to a raise to 40 chips. Also I am playing 6 handed sit n go's so there are alot more pre-flop raising opportunities.

Anyways what is the take on pre-flop action when no one is respecting raises?

thomastem
05-11-2004, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyways what is the take on pre-flop action when no one is respecting raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

See the flop and push these raises with a bigger edge on your opponents. Players that don't respect your raises when you flop trips or better are VERY profitable.

If you feel you will get 2 or less callers A-A and K-K can be pushed pre-flop, but I wouldn't with anything less.

RPatterson
05-12-2004, 12:11 AM
I guess I should start limping more then.

bernie
05-12-2004, 12:51 AM
If they're not raising, limp. As the other poster said, play from the flop. Tighten up your raise standards. Then wait for bubble-time to maybe loosen up and steal a bit.

Sometimes you can just fold til the blinds get big enough to start stealing. Only playing the premiums early on. Hell, sometimes i go take a shower and come back on the 3rd level and 1/2 the players are gone. Yet my stack hasnt really gone down much.

Note: Id be more careful of taking a shower on Party as those SNGs move much faster than UBs. But you can still wait awhile before playing.

b