PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody ever abandon a rush?

Zetack
05-11-2004, 09:44 PM
So I had a beautiful little rush tonight. I've had better sessions (not many, but at least a couple) but never any so fast.

I played 187 hands and was up 59 BB's. And then I stopped.

I hadn't hit a downturn, in fact that was the peak point of my night...I think I actually decided somewhere around up 53 BB's to stop on my two tables when I hit the blinds...and I picked up another pot before I hit em, to push me up to 59 BBs.

How do y'all feel about walking away at that point?, do you tend to do that or do you wait till you feel the tide has started to turn?

I don't expect there's a right answer to this, just wondering what people thought... When I sat down initially I was quickly up 35 BB's within about 40-50 hands, and then really quickly whittled that down to only plus 20 BB's and was sitting there thinking I was going to be really annoyed if I ended up giving that initial rush all back...

Weird stat about the rush--I played two tables, on one I was up 1 BB, the other up 58 BB's.

...Now if I could only maintain that 31.55 BB per hundred pace over my entire poker career... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

--Zetack

B Dids
05-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I like quitting whem I'm ahead. I try and play around 80 hand sessions, and if I hit a big pot at that point I'll bounce, because I like leaving feeling good.

My friend calls it "decisions of emotional economy".

bakku
05-11-2004, 10:11 PM
blackaces13 made a great post that received some good replies in the psychology forum recently that relates to this issue..take a look

Quitting when up (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=661356&page=0&view=ex panded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=#661356)

illunious
05-11-2004, 10:22 PM
I think the only logical answer is that if your rush is due to good table selection, you should stay. If it's only a rush because of good cards, good flops, etc., it really doesn't matter.

That said, I am much more motivated to keep playing while I'm on a rush (regardless of the table) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Surfbullet
05-11-2004, 11:09 PM
This is an interesting question. I feel that if you have good (play - rlated) reasons for abandoning it, you've made a good call. I know my friend who plays online quite a bit has told me that when he hits a good rush it can end with him giving most of it back because he starts playing loose and gets that "invincible" feeling because the cards start to bail out his mistakes. If this is at all the case with you it can definitely be the right move.
Otherwise, more hrs = more $$, as long-term winners will look to a steady increase for income, so if you can keep your game together playing on would be your best bet.

Sometimes it's real nice to walk away after a short session with 30BB/100 tho, and I know I've done it./images/graemlins/cool.gif

Don't worry too much about it, but if it concerns you just analyze your real reasons for it and your estimation of continuing solid play.

Dan

B Dids
05-11-2004, 11:17 PM
My other motivation for stopping is that well, I'm fat, and while I love poker, I need not to sit on my ass all the time. So if I feel the urge to stop playing, I'll do it. The cards aren't going anywhere.

Zetack
05-11-2004, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't worry too much about it, but if it concerns you just analyze your real reasons for it and your estimation of continuing solid play.

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I'm not worried about it. I just know some people are real superstitious (for lack of a better word) about their rushes. I wondered if anybody would feel like, if the rush might not be over you're crazy to stop, or, on the other hand--make sure you stop before you give much of it back...

Practically speaking I only would've played for maybe another hundred hands anyway, and I had a software glitch where the Party Poker noises (ya know the chips falling, the beeps etc) were suddenly coming out of my computer as these unbearable staticky screetches...so I had to turn off the sound. Which I don't like. And I knew if I shut it down to troubleshoot it, I wasn't going to feel like scouting out and getting in line for new tables for just a short while more of playing, plus it was nice to be up so big...so I called it a night.

Oh and I wasn't talking about just the idea of whether to quit while ahead, I was talking about quitting during a bona fide rush--or am I crazy and short plus 60 BB sessions are a regular thing for y'all?

Oh, and B-Dids...wow, I'm not sure I've ever played a session as short as 80 hands...maybe if I went back to in my poker log I'd see a session where I got interrupted or something...but I can't think of any off hand.

--Zetack

superpoe
05-12-2004, 12:50 AM
If Im up 50+ BB's at one table in under an hour, I'll stop as soon as they start gunning for me since I have taken so much of their money.