PDA

View Full Version : Was I Right To Go In Here?

RPatterson
05-11-2004, 08:58 PM
I can't retreive hand histories from UB.

I'm in a 6 man sit n go where only the top 2 pay and there are 3 of us left. Due to an unfortunate beat the hand before I'm now left with 1500 chips while the other players have about 2500 each. The blinds are 75/150.

It's folded to my small blind and I raise to 450 chips with Jack/10 suited. The big blind re-raises all-in. The problem is this is literally the 6th time he's done this since we've been down to 3. The first 5 times I didn't call because he and I had a chip lead over the 3rd player and my hand was never too great so I didn't want to risk it all with a marginal hand.

But now I'm looking at folding to a 6th pre-flop reraise from the same guy leaving me with 1000 chips to contest over 75/150 blinds. Or going all-in with J-10 suited against what I think could possibly be a trash hand to double up to 3000 and take the chip lead.

I went with it and he turned over QK suited the same as mine and I got busted.

Do you guys think this was the right play? Also what're the odds of my J10 beating his QK when they are all the same suit. Once I made the raise if he flipped his cards over and re-raised me all-in would it be correct to still call?

thomastem
05-11-2004, 09:23 PM
If this opponent has come back over you 5 times why would you test him again with J-10? What's the saying? Fool me once shame on you, fool me six times.......

Instead of stealing you have time to trap him. Wait for stronger cards, bet into him, and call when he falls into your trap.

If you don't get strong pockets by the next limit level your it is ok to all-in steal.

RPatterson
05-11-2004, 09:29 PM
You do realize if I fold here I'm going to have 1000 chips to contest over 75/150 blinds with 2 other players left? There would be no time to wait for great hands. I'm sorry but I have to disagree that I have time to wait for pocket pairs.

Tosh
05-11-2004, 09:32 PM
If you were going to call the allin then you shouldn't have raised in the first place.

RPatterson
05-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Are you saying that I shouldn't have raised with J10s then?

thomastem
05-11-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize if I fold here I'm going to have 1000 chips to contest over 75/150 blinds with 2 other players left? There would be no time to wait for great hands. I'm sorry but I have to disagree that I have time to wait for pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are misunderstanding.

1. I didn't say pocket pairs, A-10 would probably do.

2. Since he has taken 5 of your steals the only steal option you have is all-in so he knows he can't buy the pot.

3. J-10 is a brutal hand to go CALL an all-in on the bubble, any dirty Ace, King, or Queen or better has the edge on you.

4. My point really is that your problem isn't this one hand but not learning your opponent after the last 5 times he made the same play on you.

I'm giving you advice to improve your game do with it what you will.