PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Set on Non-Dangerous Board

CMangano
05-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Early in a 5+1 PP SNG I flopped a set and semi-slowplayed it. I thought, and still do think, that it was the right play given the situation. However, I would like to get some feedback from others.

Blinds are still 10/15. UTG+1(T1465), EMP(T60), and MP (T430) limp to me and I raise T100 with JJ. Folded to UTG+1 who calls, EMP calls all-in and MP folds. 2 + an all-in see a flop of:

J/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif With no real draws to worry about, I decide to bet semi-small to keep UTG+1 in the hand. Unless he has the unlikely QT or KK he is drawing to 4 outs at the most. He checks to me and I bet another T100, he calls. 2 + an all-in see a turn of:

J/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Again, apart from the unlikely QT or a slowplayed AA or KK I am way ahead, and that A probably allowed UTG+1 to catch up a bit or he is drawing almost dead. He checks to me and again I bet T100. He now raises T100 to T200. I move all-in.

Thoughts?

FloppedFlush
05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I think the play on the flop looks reasonable.

The play on the turn seems kind of inconsistent, though. You continue with the slow-play and bet 100, then he raises another 100. Since you have position, I'd probably just call the 100 and see what he does on the river. Then you can see what he bets into you on the river and raise at that time (or call/fold if the river card is sufficiently scary and he bets aggressively).

Thinking about what hands your opponent could possibly have, he could be throwing in a raise without having much to see whether the Ace falling scares you, in which case you would want to continue the slow-play since he's drawing very thin and your all-in raise would get rid of him and not give him a chance to bluff the river.

He could have AJ or A2 or 22, in which case he would most likely call your all-in bet while he's drawing almost dead, but you still have the chance to put him all in on the river.

Of course if he has the straight or the slowplayed overset then you're the one drawing thin and he has an easy call of you're all-in bet. You still might go bust on this hand, but staying with the slow-play at least gives you more of a chance to get away.

If the reason you're going all-in here is because you think the Ace allowed him to catch up enough and you want to shut out a straight draw, or a diamond draw, then you should abandon the slow play and make a more pot-sized bet initially. That's where the inconsistent part comes in - I wouldn't change gears between the first turn bet and the second turn bet; either slowplay it all the way through, or come out betting to start with. In this case, it seems to me that the slow-play should be safe to continue with.

kenstall
05-11-2004, 06:18 PM
I don't think I'd play too tricky in a $5 SNG. At a higher buy-in this play would be understandable but at this level I'd just fire away and hope someone hit the king or is drawing. If they did, they'll probable call or fire back and you'll have your money in before the turn.

I'd also recommend playing the $10 SNG rather than the $5. The level of play is about the same but you're getting more for your money ($1 vig for both).