PDA

View Full Version : A Year of Online Tournaments (long)

eMarkM
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
This week marks my 1st full year playing online tourneys regularly. My first experience was playing in the very first King of the Zoo tourney, a $30 event that attracted 42 participants, including many of the regulars on this board. I had always been a Paradise limit HE guy and this was my first venture outside of that site. So I deposited $100 in Stars for this and future King of the Zoo events. It certainly wasn't any +EV thing for me, I didn't give myself much of a chance against all these experienced players. But it was a hell of a lot of fun to chat with all the posters and I just took it as the social event that it was. I ended up 16th, out of the money, but had a lot of fun. I also got a taste of life outside of Paradise and I really like Stars software.

But after that I went back to my usual Paradise ring games and didn't log back onto Stars until a week or so before the next KotZ in the first week of June. I played in a couple of events and didn't do too well. The week of KotZ I signed up for a $50 PLHE tourney. There were 194 entrants and I took 3rd.

I was hooked. Wow, what a rush these tournaments are! Much more thrilling than the grind of ring games. I never felt anything like the rush of that final table. And now my Stars account was flush with the $1200 cash for future buy-ins. So I played in tourneys the next two days before KotZ II. I took 11/303 in a $30 PLHE and 18/230 in a $50 NLHE. Small cash for each, but I obviously had a knack for these multi tourney things. One of those tourneys taught me the "chip and a chair" lesson as I came back from T40 early to money. What drama!

The next day was KotZ II, PLHE. I took a disappointing 38/48, but the same night I entered a $50 LHE tourney with 126 players and made my 2nd final table of the week. 4th place and another $650. My $100 had balooned to nearly $2000. Man, moneying in these multis was easy! Four money finishes in one week. But through the rest of the month I didn't have another money finish. I played about a dozen tourneys and found out what a bad feeling you get when you invest 3 hours in an event and bubble just ahead of the money. So the rest of June was pretty uneventful, but the buyins weren't making too much of a dent in my newly minted Stars bankroll.

My next big breakthrough was early July. I took my biggest prize home to date, $1900 in a 198 person NLHE when I took 2nd. In this tourney I was 2nd small stack going into final table and here I learned what an EV boost you get just sitting out watching bigger stacks take on the chip leader. One by one the leader took out everyone in sight until I was HU with an insurmountable lead and I was happy with 2nd. The very next night I topped that one, big time. A three way chop in a $100 166 person event. That was worth $3500 and now I really had a serious roll on Stars. I finally started making withdrawals. Three weeks after that I had my first outright win. 1st place in $50 237 person NLHE event. I asked for a chop HU, was refused and couple hands later I'm looking at Aces with my opponent all-in. A very satisfying victory after some close calls and another $3500 added to the coffers.

Finally in August came a dry spell. With the exception of entering and winning $1200 in my first ever PLO event, I didn't even money, let alone make another final table for nearly two months. I spent all the $1200 from the PLO win in buyins trying to breakthrough and for the first time my total winnings dribbled away and I had "spent" the winnings of a previous big score.

I got back on track by moneying in a large Party tourney for about $1000. But Party tourneys left a real bad taste in my mouth. All-in abuse and the insufferable stalling were enough to drive me away from that site except for PPM events. I got back to the final table for the first time on Stars in late September in a PLHE tourney and $1400 win. But I was starting to burn out on it a little.

With the birth of my 2nd daughter I took a break from tourneys for a couple months. Played in only a handful from her birth in early October to Christmas. Day after Christmas, with the baby now sleeping though the night, I was able to get back into playing regularly on weeknights after the kids have gone to bed. That night I took 4th in a 300 person $50 NLHE for $1200. But over January, I basically lost ground to buyins, moneying here and there, some small final table scores letting me tread water.

Then Stars started the $10 rebuy and I moneyed in the 4 of the first 7 I played, including two final tables. A huge score with a HU chop and $3200 in one of them and with that win I finally broke through the doldrums and eclipsed my previous tournament winnings high water mark. Shortly after that I won a 117 person NLHE and $1500 and I felt I was back in the groove. But again over the next month, I burned through that $1500 in buyins and not doing much. I was playing a ton of tourneys compared to before, basically two and three tabling with my 9PM CT post-kiddie bedtime starts doing the $50 HE event and the $10 rebuy and even some Party and Paradise tourneys, too.

Then three weeks ago I became "King of the Zoo" by taking 3rd in the last event. I'm the points leader now in that competition. I don't know if that had any impact on what would follow, but I've been really on a tear lately on Stars. Started with a tourney the next day on Stars where I took 2nd in a 259 entrant event and $2300. Later that same night I took a 3rd in WSOP qualifier where top 2 went to the Show and the Three of Spades broke my heart as told in a different thread on this board.

Since 4/29, in a span of two weeks, I've made 11 final tables. A final table in seven of the last eight nights, including one where I was playing in two simultaneous finals in back to back events! Unfortunately, I haven't won any of them outright and some have been smaller events, so no +$1000K individual scores, but still it's been an incredible run. Not the best in terms of cash, but far and away my best in terms of competition.

Which brings us to today. I'm currently well entrenched in the Stars top 150 Tourney Leader Board. I'm in the top ten for the month of May so far. For the past 12 months I've played a total of 303 tourneys, 60 money finishes and 41 final table appearances. To get to the final table 13% of the time in contests averaging 285 participants I think is quite an accomplishment for having only the one year's experience.

For my next year I have the following goals:

1) Make at least one final table in a "major" online event for a five figure prize. I don't get to play in the Stars $200 on Sundays where top prize is serious five figures. That's family time, so this one will be tough. I've only played it once before. So Stars will be tough, but Party's tourneys have changed policies regarding all-ins and I will be playing a lot more of their $200 tourneys with +1000 competitors that run at times that are better for me to play in.

2) To win a vacation and buyin to major event. Aruba, PPM, Stars Carribean, WSOP, I'll take any of them. This past year I didn't make too big an effort towards these, but this year I will play in more qualifying events. Heck, I still have a week or so to get in this year's WSOP. I've come close three times already.

3) To maintain a top 150 status in the Stars TLB. I want to do this while still maintaining my "casual" schedule of starting at 9PM and playing in whatever's available over the next hour until I bust and go to bed. I was in the top 20 for weekly leader and the McEvoy freeroll last week, but when I saw what it takes to actually win it in terms of having to play every available event, I just can't make that kind of commitment. I'm not going to be one of the rabid players in every tourney, every day. I don't want to get caught up in a race, but just accomplish it during my natrual course of play.

I think all of these goals are realistic ones for me within the next twelve months.

Next week I'm going to be hooking up with davidross in Vegas for my first trip out there as a poker player during the craziest time of the year for poker. If any other 2+2ers are going to be out there, let me know, we're going to try and arrange a time and place we can meet. We'll be out there on the 20th and if we don't win a seat online, we'll be playing in some of the supers prior to the event. I plan on leaving the 24th, unless of course I'm in the WSOP and surviving. Look for me on the Leaderboard.

Ian J
05-11-2004, 03:33 PM
ummmmmmm....... wow!

you're good

davidross
05-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Your reports are too long, who wants to read all that? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've watched you play a few of these tournaments, and it's pretty impressive. I sat next to gotmilk last night too for a while, and although he didn't get any cards to play you could tell that the strong tourney players just have an edge.I need some serious help with my tournament game, maybe you can help me in Vegas. I blew another good opporttunity last night. I do well in the fish filled super sats, but when th ebig boys come out I become the bait.

Congrats on a great year, see ya next week.

La Brujita
05-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Great post and congratulations on the fantastic playing!

Peter H
05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
i am just starting my year of online tourneys... i only play on party and paradise though... how good are the stars tournaments compared to party and paradise? any other sites taht are must haves for playing alot of online tourneys? ive been doing pretty well and have 4 1000+ finishes w/ a 1st in the 35k guarantee on paradise... that was my sweetest finish ever.

also what is ure real name so i can look for u on the wsop leaderboards.

Jason Strasser
05-11-2004, 04:05 PM
You are fantastic. Your posts are so fun to read. THIRTEEN PERCENT FINAL TABLE? That is simply absurd. Keep it rolling.

eMarkM
05-11-2004, 04:21 PM
You know, Stars are typically much tougher than Party or Paradise. People actually respect EP raises and very frequently a re-raise will get the initial raiser to laydown. I've developed a real groove with Stars and am very familiar with the styles of a lot of the regulars there so I'm very comfortable with how you have to play to win there.

This is not the case on Party or Paradise and it's something I've had to adjust to as I've started playing multis there. Aint no re-steals at Party or Paradise, you won't get them to lay down a hand. You WILL be called. As I alluded to in my post, I pretty much gave up on Party because of the all-in abuse and the stalling, but I've been coming back to them now because the competition is so weak and they're holding more big money tourneys in the evenings. But I have played at Paradise and was appaulled at how badly people played. This leads to strategy being much simplified. In the early going don't bluff, don't resteal, don't put on "moves", don't play games. Play super tight and just wait until you KNOW you have the best hand, e.g., a set vs a suspected top pair. Stick your chips in with your 77 on a 74Q board and watch the guy with QT--hell even A4--give you his whole stack. Value bet, value bet, value bet.

You can actually pull the more sophisticated moves on Stars, but Party and Paradise drones are oblivious to it. Until the later rounds and bigger blinds when it's down to players that actually know what their doing, then you can start making big bluffs and resteals. But until then, play exceedingly straightforward. At least that's how I've approached so far.

I'll be happy to post my real name if I make the WSOP.

DougBrennan
05-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi eMarkM,

Since becoming entangled with you now a couple of times in (non-sponsored) 2+2 events, I have wanted to ask you how much you engaged in the practice of re-stealing. I suspected you of doing it to me several times, but since I was attempting to steal with dreck I was never in a position to pop you back and test my thinking. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you don't mind my asking, how large a percentage of your stack are you willing to commit to a re-steal effort? I suppose the answer is contingent on your faith in your read. I ask because I am never comfortable with re-stealing unless I have a large stack relative to what I want to raise to.

(If you can even understand my syntax, much less answer the question, I am mightily impressed.)

Anyway, I enjoyed the post and hope to join you at a final table or two in the future.

Doug

nolanfan34
05-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Jeez, how many posts can a guy make bragging of his successes in one day? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, congrats on the year of great playing. I was relieved to read that you suffered some dry spells. Since finishing 3rd in a WSOP Sat like you did, I have been ice cold, either busting on the bubble or not catching cards. The low point I think was reached last night, when I played for 3 hours in two different tournaments, and never saw a pocket pair higher than 88. Never had AK, KQ or KJ. Saw plenty of J4, Q2 and K3 though!

Anyway, reading your post gives me some hope of what will happen when I get some cards to play again. If I can outlast 1/2 to 2/3 of the field without catching anything, I know I can break through again when I start getting some cards to play.

Great goals for next year, winning a trip package and entry into a tournament is one of my goals in the future as well!

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wayabvpar
05-11-2004, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your reports are too long, who wants to read all that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh- you made me choke some carbonated water into my nose, Mr. Ross!

Ed- great post. Funny that you mention the TLB- I just happened to check it out for the first time in months and saw your name up there- nice work!

My own tourney game is in severe disrepair- I haven't had the time to sit down and play a 5 hour tournament for a few months now, so have been avoiding the multis. I really do miss the thrill of them, however (as you alluded to in your post). Will have to try to make more time for them in the near future.

doggin
05-11-2004, 10:51 PM
I'm thinking of the same game plan on PS with the 10 and
20 dollars multis, I enjoy the heck out of tourneys too.

Do you mind saying what your net profit was for a year of
multis on the 50 dollar tables?
If not, I understand.
Thanks! d

Dentist
05-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Congratulations eMark - I have benefited from your advice quite a bit and have improved myself quite a bit.

7 months ago I started playing tournaments at Stars.
I cut my teeth on $1-3 tourneys to practice with little risk and read all the pertinent material.

I made a few final tables in these.. but never won.

In January I finally started playing $10-$30 (occasional $50 - very rare). Always either NL or PL... I prefer PL.

However, I run a busy practice and work long hours.
I only play 1-2 tournies a week.

Since 1/1/2004 - I have kept track and have played 40 tournaments since then.
40 tournaments, 11 money finishes, 5 final tables, 2 victories....

I feel very good about what I've done since January without any other major tourney experience at any other sites or live or anywhere.

Leader Board Numbers:
<ul type="square">
748122 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-01-03 15:30 $ 10.00 506 6 184.65
777546 Hold'em Limit 2004-01-10 23:59 $ 3.00 720 7 153.33
805504 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-01-14 21:15 $ 10.00 511 48 65.61
913594 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-02-03 21:00 $ 30.00 303 13 119.76
913638 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-02-05 16:00 $ 20.00 326 39 66.68
1040286 Hold'em NoLimit 2004-02-29 20:00 $ 3.00 1569 8 211.73
1271472 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-03-27 08:00 $ 10.00 207 2 204.56
1281804 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-03-30 21:00 $ 30.00 350 1 464.10
1435546 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-04-20 21:00 $ 30.00 189 29 63.33
1435573 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-04-21 21:15 $ 10.00 445 10 134.13
1435658 Hold'em PotLimit 2004-04-24 15:30 $ 10.00 373 53 53.34
1478480 Hold'em NoLimit 2004-05-01 13:30 $ 20.00 394 3 264.32
1530096 Hold'em NoLimit 2004-05-09 11:00 $ 10.00 489 1 444.64

[/list]

doggin
05-12-2004, 12:06 AM
Hi Dentist,

Nice looking results too.

Why do you prefer PL over NL?

It seems as after the third bet it's pretty much no limit
anyway.

d

eMarkM
05-12-2004, 12:20 AM
About $17K. ROI at 75% right now. This is just for tourneys, I also play ring games too, mostly NL 200 on Party these days and I've done well there, too.

I want to boost my tourney income next year by playing a lot more of the huge $200 tourneys where just one of those final table payoffs can net you as much as I made all year in $50 tourneys.

balt999
05-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Congrats Ed on your success....I always keep an eye on your progress whenever we're in a tourney...it's fun and little satifying to cheer for someone you've battled with in the past.

Can't say I've had the same success as you (Lots of 300th finishes, and being knocked out in the first levels), and I agree the rush you get from tournament play beats any ring game anyday..

I might be able to be meet you and davidross in Vegas...Maybe after the supers we can get into the $125/$100 NL Saturday tourney the Orleans runs...it's usually a large turnout.

Tosh
05-12-2004, 06:29 AM
Hey Balt, congrats on your win last night. You played great.

Tosh
05-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Hey Ed, congrats on a solid year. I've watched you play several times whilst sweating you, very impressed every time. I have a lot to learn about tournaments but I always learn from your play.

mrbaseball
05-12-2004, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For the past 12 months I've played a total of 303 tourneys, 60 money finishes and 41 final table appearances

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif I wish I had time to play lots of tourneys. It is easily my favorite poker activity. But I can only sneak in one ore two a week if I am lucky. So instead I play lots of fragmented ring games, a half hour here, 45 minutes there.

I have never played with you other than KOTZ's where I have been at your table a few times. You definitely get my attention at the table and I have been very impressed with your play.

Congrats on a solid year and many more to come. I hope to play more tourneys as the opportunity presents itself.

Do you play many Paradise tourneys? Personally I think they suck because of the primarily 10 or 12 minute levels and of course the Turbos are just stupid. I even fired them off an email yesterday explaining why /images/graemlins/smile.gif I won't play Party tournaments much just because they suck too. But it seems like they are combating all in abuse so I may try those some more. Despite having suppossedly the toughest player base I do much better at Stars anyway.

Good luck on the upcoming year.

balt999
05-13-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks Tosh, it was a tough final table...Glad I was able to come through.