PDA

View Full Version : Do you bet when you can't beat the board?

nolanfan34
05-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Here's a hand I ran into last night, which I questioned my play afterward. I realized I wasn't sure in a tournament situation whether I made the right call.

This hand came up relatively early in a PP limit tournament. I had a slightly above average stack at the time this hand came up.

Party Poker Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t2073)
BB (t655)
UTG (t1025)
UTG+1 (t850)
UTG+2 (t475)
MP1 (t867)
Hero (t1450)
MP3 (t675)
CO (t1155)
Button (t775)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG posts a blind of t30.
UTG (poster) folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB, t150) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls.

<font color="red">My read on MP1 was that he was a bit of a calling station, often calling to the river with 2nd pair or any draw.</font>

Turn: (3.50 BB, t210) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

<font color="red">I thought his call here now pointed to either a flush draw, something like 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifwas possible I thought, or something like A9x or ATx.</font>

River: (5.50 BB, t330) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero ??

Thoughts? I now can't beat the board, and lose to a flush or any ace. Is it worth calling him down when he all of the sudden leads out? Results to follow.

steeser
05-11-2004, 12:35 PM
I think if you are gonna call, you might as well raise him. Maybe he decided to represent and bet out to get you to fold, and now you can turn the tables back on him.