PDA

View Full Version : How Good is Garnett?

Utah
05-11-2004, 11:25 AM
How good is Kevin Garnett? Obviously, he is a great player and maybe deserved the MVP this year.

However, watching him so far in the playoffs this year and having watched him in the playoffs for the last 7 years, he seems to lack that killer instinct or the ability to completely dominate a game. His two possessions at the end of regulation and at the end of OT where typical and awful. At the end of game, I would rather have the ball in Cassell's hands.

Is Garnett really that good? If so, why?

bugstud
05-11-2004, 12:12 PM
If you did Fantasy NBA, you'd agree with me that he was by far the best guy this year /images/graemlins/laugh.gif He was dominant in all categories except TO's and treys. I honestly haven't watched much NBA in the past 3 years, so I can't say from watching how good he is anymore...but he's a damn consistent post guy, and those are rare anymore.

andyfox
05-11-2004, 12:17 PM
He's not a point guard. At the end of regulation, they got him the all way too soon. At the end of OT, why would you give him the ball in the corner like that? I know Cassell was out, but still, that was bad coaching.

He knocked down all his free throws (while a superior free-throw shooter for the other team missed a bunch of 'em) and made a great play for the winning bucket, when he was double-teamed with time running out and he was completely out of gas. He's a great player, but probably one step behind the guys who can completely dominate a game. There have probably been only 10-12 of those guys ever.

adios
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Last night Kevin Garnett had 15 points in the fourth quarter. Excellent shooting form when facing the basket IMO. Nice jump shot, decent touch, ferocious rebounder, excellent shot blocker, and I believe he hasn't reached his full potential yet. I don't recall his utlizing the jump hook all that much and I think if he added that to his game (both hands) he'd be that much more effective. He plays in all the games averaging 40 minutes a game. I'll take him.

banditbdl
05-11-2004, 01:29 PM
The end of regulation play was bad, he got started too late (4 secs. instead of 6 sec.) and wasn't able to pass the ball to the open man when the Kings triple teamed him. Some of that falls on KG, some on Flip as well, it was a poorly designed play to begin with. At the end of OT he hit an incredibly tough shot (after getting completely hacked by Christie early on the way up, no call) to put the Wolves up three. Then he slipped/was fouled on the inbounds causing the turnover to give the ball back to the Kings so I don't know what you're talking about for him being bad at the end of OT, that traveling call was a joke. For craps sake he had 15 pts in the 4th quarter and OT last night.

Cassell only has room to operate because of the constant threat of KG, at age 34 Cassell set career scoring and FG% highs coming to the Wolves this year, why do you think that was? The same goes for every other player on the T-wolves. Fred Hoiberg and Wally Szczerbiak get most of their open looks when the ball is being rotated out after a double on KG. Trenton Hassell (cut by the Bulls of all teams) scored 16 points last night. The reason, the Kings double-teamed KG without the ball leaving Hassell completely unguarded for 16 foot jumpers and uncontested drives. Also, Garnett gets it done on both ends, he had another 15 boards and 5 or 6 blocks last night, not to mention the number of shots he contests and alters. Everything starts with him on both ends of the court.