PDA

View Full Version : I smelled aces, but..........

cjromero
05-11-2004, 09:49 AM
I played the pocket Kings too strongly, right?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ks Kh (two pair, kings and nines).
UTG+2 shows As Ac (two pair, aces and nines).
Outcome: UTG+2 wins 12.50 BB. </font>

bakku
05-11-2004, 10:03 AM
No way..I probably would have thrown in 1 or 2 more BB than you did, but you played it fine

Raiser
05-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Tough beat, but you definitely didn't play too strongly. I would've raised the turn and then called down to a re-raise.

ZootMurph
05-11-2004, 10:43 AM
I'd have bet/called the turn and river as well. More often you will be up against a smaller pocket pair, and occasionally AK/AQ, so I think you can build the pot for those times you are ahead.

Now, if you had a specific read on this guy, or were sure he had Aces, calling down the turn and river is a good play.

Peter Harris
05-11-2004, 10:44 AM
wouldve played it the same way, betting the turn depending on my read.

you may have been up against QQ or JJ, remember, play it strong. don't be meek with future aces, this is fine.

Pete

cjromero
05-11-2004, 10:45 AM
I am new and still learning, so take this comment with a bucket of salt.

I am glad to see that I shouldn't have folded, but am I just too much of a pansy for not playing this stronger on the turn or the river? When he capped preflop and capped on the flop, why shouldn't I expect to have the other two Kings as my only outs? Am I seeing too many monsters under the bed to surmise that he must have had pocket Aces or a set of Jacks to play the way he did preflop and on the flop?

EDIT: I finished my post prior to ZootMurph and Peter Harris' comments.

chief444
05-11-2004, 10:52 AM
I would have played it exactly the same. I think anything but check/calling the turn and river unimproved would be overplaying your hand in this situation. The way your opponent played it out both pf and on the flop indicates he had either a set of jacks or an overpair. There are more hands I would put him on that beat you than hands you beat. Not to mention many players would not cap the flop with pocket Q's. Well played, IMO.

RED_RAIN
05-11-2004, 06:59 PM
I have been in this situation a lot and find out enough on the flop so I lose the least when I'm against Aces.

When you 3 bet preflop you are usually saying you got Js or above but usually Ks or As and sometimes you see Qs. When he caps which in my opinion he shouldn't give away his hand like this you can narrow down his hand to Ks or As for a good player and maybe Qs for a bad player.

On the flop I would bet, see if he raises, then if he capped it preflop I just call his raise bet on flop, then go to check/call unless I hit set or stronger on turn or river. If you think he may indeed have Qs you could bet into him again on turn and see if he raises and if he does go to check/call but more than likely you are losing with just a pair of Ks.

I'm multitabling right now so hope that all came out clear. I also play a bit weak/tight so yes you may lose a BB or 2 but variance will be lower. I just think when it's capped preflop usually you see KK or AA.

adanthar
05-11-2004, 07:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When he caps which in my opinion he shouldn't give away his hand like this you can narrow down his hand to Ks or As for a good player and maybe Qs for a bad player...I just think when it's capped preflop usually you see KK or AA.

[/ QUOTE ]Bad players will only cap AA and sometimes KK. Good ones will cap a lot more than just those two, including QQ, JJ, AK, and some situational hands. If I'm in a hand that I know will be capped and the choice is between calling a 3 bet or capping it myself, I'll cap it with almost any hand I play in that situation.

That said, on this flop, there's only one hand you're ahead of that will cap, one which ties you and two that beat you, so check/calling is probably good. If it came 8 high, raising the turn once is probably better.

Nemesis
05-11-2004, 07:43 PM
I'll cap multiple hands, especially if i'm in late posistion. I like to have a broad range of hands for people to have to put me on =)