PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a set, but the board has three clubs

cjromero
05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I am curious as to opinions on how I played this hand. I know I got lucky on the river. Would you have folded?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Okay to call preflop with 2 limpers or is that an automatic raise?

Flop: (7 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

My general play in this situation is to bet strong with my set until someone shows me I am beat. Thoughts?

Turn: (9.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Now I figure I am beat. Is check/call okay with the set or should I have laid it down?

River: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows 2c Jc (flush, queen high).
Hero shows Td Ts (full house, tens full of threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 16.50 BB. </font>

bakku
05-11-2004, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay to call preflop with 2 limpers or is that an automatic raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one limper to you. Although it's not an *automatic* raise, I almost always do.

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious as to opinions on how I played this hand. I know I got lucky on the river. Would you have folded?

[/ QUOTE ]

You played this hand well, this is exactly how I would play it. You didn't get lucky on the river, you hit a 10-outer which you had the odds to draw to. Also, I basically never fold a set before I see the river card, so no I wouldn't have folded.

sfer
05-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Uh, fold on the turn? You've got 10 outs.

You played it fine.

EDIT: Raise preflop.

Rico Suave
05-11-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey cprhou:

I generally raise preflop in that spot. I used to limp a lot with TT, but I have found that my results with TT improved with increased preflop aggression.

I think you played the hand fine.

--Rico

ZootMurph
05-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I agree with everyone else saying that you had odds to play the hand.

Preflop in early position with TT, is almost an automatic raise. You really want to try to get those loose players that will limp with K4, A6, etc out of the hand if possible.

On the flop, you COULD still be ahead, and you really want to pump the pot, to give you odds to be calling in case you are behind. You have 7 outs if you are behind, which is pretty good odds IF you are behind.

Turn, you have 10 outs (less than 5:1 odds) with a 9.5:1 call. Easy call.

River. BAM. Good to go, unless the guy is holding 33 or QQ. Since he didn't 3-bet, your hand is good.

MasterShakes
05-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Raise pre-flop with TT almost every time, in my opinion.

The cap on the flop isn't that bad, even if you knew that the guy had the flush, since you have that third player in that you're collecting bets from.

On the turn, you have to stay in, since you have 10 outs, and likely 3 cards out there that don't match the board, given that the button is still in there (with at least one club). You MUST call on the turn - the pot odds demand it. Lucky on the river? I think not. You were a dog going to the last card, but not a big one.

MrDannimal
05-11-2004, 11:11 AM
I agree with everything but the idea that you should pump the pot on the flop to make sure you have the odds to call later and chase your boat.

In any case, you rarely need to worry about having the right odds to call a river bet when you hold a set, since you only need 5:1 (or 10 small bets on the flop).

MasterShakes
05-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to add another thought here...

If you're pumping the pot on the flop, it isn't to give yourself the right odds. You CAN'T give yourself the right odds - only the other players can do that for you by staying in and giving you a multi-way pot. The reason capping here isn't bad is that you have 7 outs here and 10 outs on the turn, knowing that given all the clubs, their chances of being live are pretty good. If you have a 4-way pot here, I cap it every time, KNOWING that I'm behind at the moment because of all the outs and the chances that you will make your hand by the river. It's the same with nut flush draws and nut straight draws on the flop against at least 3 players.

Also, another reason not to build your own odds is that the implied odds on boat over flush are usually pretty big at this level. Many players with the nut flush think they're unbeatable and will cap it, blinded by the fact that the board has paired and another player is showing new aggression.

RED_RAIN
05-11-2004, 07:12 PM
I always preflop raise pocket 10s here. 10s do much better against small number of players than a lot.

On flop I may only call the 3 bet since capping they are still getting about even money I think for their draw. On the turn there is no way I would lay down to one bet. Your full house when it hits will pay off especially with ace of flush if they got that. Also by not capping you may say you have a flush and not a set...perhaps some more bets later on when you do hit a full.

MCS
05-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Preflop: I'd have raised.

Flop: I'd have probably just called the three-bet, but I tend to get somewhat scared when I get three-bet. This would depend somewhat on my read of the other player.

Turn: Blah. Another club. Not a good card, but I'd be assuming you're behind a flush and still have ten outs. I'd call.

River: Standard.

Overall I think you played it very well.