PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Bridge vs. Statue of Liberty

Chris Daddy Cool
05-11-2004, 05:43 AM
For all you West Coast/ East Cost folks out there. Which is more special?

I was just making a list of sights in America I should visit in my lifetime.

GWB
05-11-2004, 06:49 AM
A statue is a piece of decoration.

A bridge has a functional purpose.

Would it be a loss though if the radical kooks in Marin County were cut-off from the big city?

W

Al_Capone_Junior
05-11-2004, 08:00 AM
I found the statue of liberty to be quite unimpressive compared to the golden gate bridge. NYC is kinda fun, esp. manhattan, but I've seen more than enough of it to last me a lifetime. If you are going to be on the east coast, washington DC is a much better place to visit. Great trains, lots of museums, not very expensive either. NYC is very expensive to do anything in. It's also dirty and dangerous. It does have good points tho, so don't all you NYC heads come a gunnin'.

al

ACPlayer
05-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Visit statue of liberty first, but mostly because it is NY.

Then goto The Vanguard, The Met, BAM, MOMA, Lincoln Center, The Blue Note, Harlem, take in a broadway show, an off-off-broadway show, street performers in Central Park, browse the stores of SoHo, have a meal in a hole in the wall place in Chinatown, the beat goes on........

CCass
05-11-2004, 09:08 AM
...getting mugged in Central Park...

jdl22
05-11-2004, 09:23 AM
Isn't Bush giving the statue of liberty back since she's French?

elwoodblues
05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
If she was truly French wouldn't she Torch-arm have armpit hair flowing out of the robes?

nicky g
05-11-2004, 09:41 AM
She'd also be smoking a cigarette, which definitely would have got her booted out.

Gamblor
05-11-2004, 09:58 AM
I took the bridge in the 4th.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-11-2004, 10:11 AM
1) It's bigger than Mount Rushmore
2) The story behind its creation is fascinating
3) There's a lot of Civil War history there and in the surrounding area
4) The PC types want it destroyed.

MaxPower
05-11-2004, 10:12 AM
I'm from New York and I would say the Golden Gate Bridge is a much more impressive site than the Statue of Liberty.

I recommend you visit Ellis Island when in New York.

Ray Zee
05-11-2004, 10:44 AM
the statue of liberty is in new jersey not new york. new york may have the best bagels and lox, but not the statue of liberty.

sfer
05-11-2004, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be a loss though if the radical kooks in Marin County were cut-off from the big city?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think the only radicals are in Marin and not in SF or the East Bay you're totally clueless.

sfer
05-11-2004, 11:19 AM
The Bridge, and it's not close.

In fairness to NYC, there are about 40 bazillion things worth doing here before considering the existence of the Statue of Liberty.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
the statue of liberty is in new jersey not new york.

Thank you, Ray. I was getting tired of being the only one to say it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-11-2004, 11:58 AM
No kidding. Of the entire area, I'd think Marin County would have the highest percentage of conservatives.

daryn
05-11-2004, 12:08 PM
i never understood why so many people go hog wild over NYC. what a filthy city /images/graemlins/frown.gif

nicky g
05-11-2004, 12:16 PM
You want filth, come to London. (Or Amsterdam. Depends on what you mean by filth /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

andyfox
05-11-2004, 12:21 PM
The Golden Gate Bridge is a bridge. New York has a ton of 'em. The Brooklyn Bridge is more scenic. Heck, the Bay Bridge is a more impressive bridge.

The Status of Liberty is, OTOH, special.

I love both San Francisco and New York. But this one's no contest. The SOL by a landslide.

HDPM
05-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Exactly. I had no desire to go into the SOL, although I liked seeing it from outside well enough. Ellis Island is another matter. If the bridge v. SOL is close, Ellis Island v. Alcatraz isn't. NY wins on this tourist issue hands down IMO. Ancestors went through Ellis Island, and fortunately not through the Bureau of Prisons. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
05-11-2004, 01:41 PM
I love London. Dirty is relative. People that refer to vacation spots as clean don't sound like people that enjoyed their vacations.

How was Toronto?
Clean.

How was London?
I had a blast!

superleeds
05-11-2004, 01:49 PM
The dog $hit in Amsterdam is the worst. But it is one of my favourite citys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sfer
05-11-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Golden Gate Bridge is a bridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more. Manifest destiny might be a dirty term but there it is. Plus, I like hearing noisy sea lions and reaching for a light sweater in the summertime as the fog rolls over the bridge.

[ QUOTE ]
The Status of Liberty is, OTOH, special.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I'd rather read the second inaugural at the Lincoln Memorial.

andyfox
05-11-2004, 01:55 PM
The dog poo was worse in Paris.

Amsterdam is indeed wonderful. None of the grandeur, the showoffiness, of Paris or London, but charm and grace. It's like the difference between painting in the rest of Europe and in the Netherlands. While the Italians and their imitators were painting grand subject (Bible scenes, history), the Dutch were painting everyday life.

The food sucks, but a wonderful city.

superleeds
05-11-2004, 01:59 PM
The food sucks

I'm from England origionally so I thought it was OK /images/graemlins/smile.gif

but a wonderful city

Third only to Hong Kong and NY

andyfox
05-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm the least patriotic guy in the world, but it's a special spot, in front of Lincoln, looking out over the mall to the Washington Monument, especially at night when the monuments are floodlit. Goosebumps time.

The worst part of the Golden Gate bridge is the color.

When my son and I took the Circle Line tour, it was so cold and windy it was all I could do to simply hold the camera as we passed the SOL. My pictures all show my son perfectly, and the Statue, alas, cut off half-way up.

BTW, that Circle Line boat tour is wonderful. Highly recommended.

Ray Zee
05-11-2004, 06:01 PM
what wrong with some animal s-t. why just today i stepped in goose s-t, then a bunch of deer s-t, and later a big pile of bear s-t, all in my yard. then i went into the garden and tilled about forty ton of horse s-t into the soil. i now smell so natural i may not take a shower for a week.

offTopic
05-11-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4) The PC types want it destroyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, is there a Macintosh logo on it?

andyfox
05-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Yeah, I stepped in some today when I bet my pocket aces on the turn and it was three more bets back to me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
nm

Oski
05-12-2004, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The dog $hit in Amsterdam is the worst. But it is one of my favourite citys /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but if you are hard up, you can roll it up and smoke it.