PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the thick of things...

Laomedon
05-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Howdy, I'm brand spanking new to these forums (although I've been lurking for some time now). I have a serious dilemma however, and I was wondering if any of ya'll could be of any assistance. I do not have access to my checking account right now for reasons I would rather not discuss. I do have access to a shiny mastercard that is universally despised by Neteller, Firepay, etc... I have a serious hankering to play some online poker though and if anyone could give me an indication as to how I might go about funding this journey either by using my maligned plastic or by some other method, I would be eternally grateful. Oh and one other annoying and unmerited constraint on my potential poker bliss: I am using a Mac without emulation software so, as far as I know, I can only play on Pokerroom.com (which hopefully isn't a dump). This is certainly an unenviable position to be in but I am sure that I will find the answers here. Thank you all in advance.

Laomedon

Bump-en-Stein
05-11-2004, 02:03 AM
Use your credit card to get a PC; sell the Mac for cash; get a money order and play wherever you want.

Laomedon
05-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for your informative and insightful suggestion...

Senor Choppy
05-11-2004, 02:21 AM
Trying to stick with mac friendly sites to save money on Virtual PC or a new computer is the biggest waste of $ possible for a poker player.

Get a functional computer or enjoy the play money games on Yahoo.

Laomedon
05-11-2004, 02:30 AM
I wasn't prepared for this negativity at all. I thought I asked a fairly straightforward question and instead I've been told to sell my computer or play games on Yahoo.

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed...

jasonHoldEm
05-11-2004, 02:39 AM
Pokerroom is a smaller site, but on the level. A lot of online gambling sites won't accept credit cards anymore (or rather, the credit cards don't allow gambling transactions) so if you run into trouble just use neteller to link to your bank account (like paypal). Neteller is also safe and reliable.

I think the only other site accessible to macs is dynamite, but TNT is really small and probably not worth your trouble.

Play on pokerroom until you can buy the emulation software or a PC (it really doesn't need to be fancy, you can probably pick up a cheap PC for like $200 or less and it would work just fine). Unfortunately online poker is a PC world (my roommate is also a mac user).

Hope this helps,
Jason

fluff
05-11-2004, 02:45 AM
1) Pokerroom.com is the only poker site that can be played by someone with a Mac.

2) Log in to Pokerroom, then go to Deposits and pick a deposit method that works without needing a checking account. I haven't used either, but looks like either 900pay or PrepaidATM might work.

3) You should consider getting a (reasonably priced) PC anyway. The deposit bonuses alone from all the sites that you will have access to easily will pay for the PC purchase price many times over.

jek187
05-11-2004, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Howdy, I'm brand spanking new to these forums (although I've been lurking for some time now).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't prepared for this negativity at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you've been lurking for "some time" and you weren't prepared for this negativity at all? I think you need to do a better job lurking. Welcome to the Zoo.

Laomedon
05-11-2004, 02:58 AM
I was being moderately sarcastic...

Thanks everyone for all the advice, although it seems I wasn't clear in explaining what I wanted to learn from ya'll.

Here it goes: is there anyway I can get money from my credit card into a neteller account or into pokerroom.com despite the fact that my card is seemingly prevented from doing so? Essentially, are there any loopholes that might exist that would ennable me to use my plastic? Thanks again...

BirthdayBoy
05-11-2004, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Here it goes: is there anyway I can get money from my credit card into a neteller account or into pokerroom.com despite the fact that my card is seemingly prevented from doing so? Essentially, are there any loopholes that might exist that would ennable me to use my plastic? Thanks again...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not get another checking account at another bank, then link it to Neteller? If you have no cash, get a cash advance from the CC to fund checking account (3% to 5% cash advance fees likely though).

Pokerroom is not as soft as other sites, you win more in the soft sites (and get better bonuses).

If it works, send me a Birthday present.

Senor Choppy
05-11-2004, 10:28 AM
If you want to play online poker to amuse yourself and have fun, a mac would suffice. If you want to make money doing it, you're wasting your time.

It's like asking how to play B&M poker in Alaska. It might be possible, but you're better off moving to CA or Vegas.