PDA

View Full Version : Worthless Jacks...

lil'
05-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Here's a wimpy way to play pocket jacks, but it felt right. I respected my opponent, and by the turn, I figured there was one hand he could have that I could beat (K-Q) that he would open raise with here.

By the time the river rolls around, I can't think of any hands I beat, so I mucked the stupid things.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Lil' has J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Lil' 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Lil' bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG checks, Lil' checks.

River: (4.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Lil' folds.

Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG doesn't show.
Outcome: UTG wins 5.75 BB. </font>

Schneids
05-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Bet the turn. You can beat KQ, KJ, QJ, K9, 99, 88, etc.

Set yourself up for the free showdown with a turn bet, you have a very showdownlable hand.

He could have just as easily bet the river with 99 as KQ or A8.

stripsqueez
05-10-2004, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. You can beat KQ, KJ, QJ, K9, 99, 88, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

so this opponent never folds these hands to the flop bet ?

i think betting the turn is close - if i thought my opponent would fold a lot of non ace hands to the flop bet then i would check the turn

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

lil'
05-10-2004, 11:28 PM
K9, 99, 88 - I didn't think he would call with these
KJ, QJ are unlikely
Figured I would just call the inevtable river bet until the king put the nail in the coffin.

Requeim
05-10-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm betting the turn just about all the time here and take the free showdown. If you don't bet, how can your opponent fold?

King Yao
05-11-2004, 12:54 AM
I think a check on the Turn is absolutely ok. Sure, you give a free card to a pocket pair or to KQ, QJ, that's bad. But the good part is you may induce a bet from him on the River...maybe now he bets with 99, in which case, you would have won the same amount as when you had bet on the Turn looking to check it down on the River. if he bets with a A or T, you still lose the same amount. The comparison is the risk of giving a free card versus inducing a bluff from KQ....which makes me think that you made a nice play to fold on the turn. I like it, too bad it did not work.