PDA

View Full Version : Cap The Turn?.........

JoeU
05-10-2004, 10:18 PM
...is among a couple of questions I have on this hand. I'm also curious to see what people think about my post flop play.

.50/1.00 Prima 10 handed. Table has been slightly tighter than normal, but still typically passive. The only players I have notes on at this table are not involved in the hand. I am in MP with A /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I open limp. LP, CO, button, and SB limp, BB checks. 6 to the flop for 3BB.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, LP bets CO and button call, SB and BB fold, I raise, LP 3-bets, call/call, I cap, all call. 4 to the turn for 11BB.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif(J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif)

I check, LP now checks, CO bets, button calls, I raise, LP folds, CO 3-bets, button calls, I call. 3 to the river for 20BB

River:Q /images/graemlins/club.gif(J /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif)

I check, CO bets, button calls, I raise, CO 3-bets, button calls, I cap, CO and button call.

Button never shows, CO shows K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the turned straight.

I'm curious as to what people think about my play preflop, flop, and turn. I think I did ok on the river. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

Shalara
05-10-2004, 11:52 PM
I would have bet the flop rather than check-raised, unless I was certain a bet would come from the left, because I wouldn't want to check-raise and make it two bets cold, possibly folding people. But it worked out beautifully in this case.

The check-raise was spot-on. Nicely done. Weaker flush draws will call, and you already have a made hand. It's not the nuts, but it's pretty darned good, and it can only get better. And just calling the 3-bet is good... at this point, it's possible someone had an OESD and just made the nuts. But I don't think you can be fairly certain of it til his 3-bet.

Excellent river play as well.

Overall, I like it. The part I like best is that you check-raised every street, and still had callers. I am quite amused. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JTG51
05-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Since CO can't reraise even if he does have the nuts, I'd cap the turn. With an extra opponent along for the ride I think you'll be freerolling with the same straight, or even be ahead of something crazy, often enough that capping isn't a mistake.

Nemesis
05-11-2004, 03:48 PM
with the draw to the flush as well as a made straight i think a cap is perfectly reasonable. Isn't it correct to bet a 4 flush for value with 2 opponents anyway, or am i just confused.

chief444
05-11-2004, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it correct to bet a 4 flush for value with 2 opponents anyway, or am i just confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with one card to come. On the flop your odds of catching the flush by the river are a little better than 2:1. But with just the river to come your odds are a little worse than 4:1. But I do agree that capping the turn in this case wouldn't be a bad play, just not for that reason.

charlie_t_jr
05-11-2004, 04:09 PM
[quote I think I did ok on the river. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, everyone agree with a c/r on the river? It turned out great for you, but I'd be more inclined to bet the river, especially after c/r flop and turn. I'd hate to have the /images/graemlins/club.gif scare everyone, and it gets checked through.

As it turned out, good possibility that if you had bet out, it might have ended up capped anyway...but I'd hate for it not to be bet if I checked here...thoughts?

JoeU
05-11-2004, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It turned out great for you, but I'd be more inclined to bet the river, especially after c/r flop and turn. I'd hate to have the scare everyone, and it gets checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I thought I'd get away with it here was because the person that bet the flop was not the same person that came to life on the turn. I thought the person on the turn was coming to life with one of 3 possible hands: a straight (possibly the nuts), a big flush draw (K high), or a set of some sorts. I especially thought the set was a big possibility, as well as the straight. Many players at this level like to come alive on the turn with a semi monster like that.

I did break one of my cardinal rules in this hand (never check the nuts in the river), but I was pretty confident that my raise on the turn and my check on the flush card in the river would show that I "feared" the flush card.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Next time, I'm capping the turn! /images/graemlins/grin.gif