PDA

View Full Version : Getting JJ when big blind

cianosheehan
05-10-2004, 09:47 PM
IF your dealt JJ when on the Big Blind, and there are about 4-6 limpers to you, what is the best move, to check or to raise? In Micro limit, firstly they will be calling with mediocre Ax, Kx, or Qx, and are not going to fold to a re-raise (I never see any limpers folding a re-raise preflop). So...the chances of either an Ace, King or Queen coming out are quite high, so in which case, if you are BB, and there are that many limpers, is it worth raising, when chances are your going to be outdrawn by someone?
Thanks

Zetack
05-10-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So...the chances of either an Ace, King or Queen coming out are quite high

[/ QUOTE ]

57 percent of the time actually. So only 43 percent of the time is there going to be a flop you're likely to be comfortable with.

So what do you do? You raise of course.

--Zetack

cold_cash
05-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I think there's a couple of posts that talk pretty extensively about playing JJ out of the blinds.

Your logic seems a little flawed though. I don't know the exact numbers, but I think if you hold JJ a little over half of the time the flop won't contain any overcards. (It just always SEEMS to.) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In addition to those good flops, there are the really good flops that contain a Jack.

You probably have the best hand, and there's a reasonable chance you can win unimproved.

Also, even though you might not fold anyone holding Ax, Kx, etc., you also won't fold people with 89, 22, T7, etc.

sfer
05-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Check if you don't like maximizing EV.

Matty
05-11-2004, 05:28 AM
What if you're in the same position with TT?

I usually bet. Is this a mistake?

Chris Daddy Cool
05-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Goodness gracious, how many of these are we gonna have to go through each week. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JJ is the 4th best hand in all of hold'em. JJ will be an overpair about half the time. You'd raise AK wouldn't you? You'll only flop a pair like one third of the time. Check the first but raise the latter? Seems kind of counterintuitive if you ask me.

I'm usully raising with TT and 99 too. Why? I guess I like throwing money away. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BirthdayBoy
05-11-2004, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What if you're in the same position with TT?

I usually bet. Is this a mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

With 4-6 limpers you are only putting in 14% to 20% of the money. So if you expect to win substantially more than 20% of the time, raise it preflop.

Are you "Grey" on Cryptologic?

My Birthday Advice to you. /images/graemlins/grin.gif