PDA

View Full Version : Checking All The Way (With An All-In)

Depraved
05-10-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm a relative beginner in tournament play. I've noticed that a lot of players will check it all the way if a third party has gone all-in (presumably to increase the likelihood of busting the all-in?). I found myself in this exact situation, and didn't know what the "right" thing to do was. I know I've read about this situation in at least one tournament poker book, but I couldn't find the section last night.

I have no idea how stupid or how standard this strategy is, and/or if there are times when you should use it and times when you shouldn't.

Thanks in advance for any guidelines you can provide.

fnord_too
05-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Whether to check all the way depends on a lot of things.

First off, if you have a very strong hand bet regardless. Bet whatever amount you think will make you the most money.

Second, early in the tournament, and by early I mean not in the money and not particularly close, play how you would play if the all in guy was not even in the pot. Knocking someone out has very little value at that point, play to maximize your chances of winning the pot, even if that hurts the chances of knocking the other guy out. Of course, if your oppenent wants to give you free cards when you don't have a made hand, let him /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Third, GENERALLY, if the person going out will increase your expected take home, checking it down is perfectly good (keeping in mind the first rule). If, say, you are one from the money and a short stack, you would need a big hand indeed to not check it down. But if say you just crossed into the money and the next 10 spots pay the same, I'd try to maximize my chances of winning the pot per the second note above.

Finally, in some cases, you want to push everyone but the all in player out, even if you don't have a great chance of winning the hand. Here's an example:
You are the chip leader (or chip leader at your table) one out of the money. The shortest stack goes all in in the big blind with a couple of limpers. You have been building your stack nicely stealing blinds and bullying the table since everyone is playing over tight to make it into the money. You should strongly consider a strong raise pre flop or on the flop if you think it will chase everyone out. If you win the pot fine, if you don't, you maintain the table conditions that are allowing you to build your stack. If you run into a big hand, muck to a raise or check it down; you have not risked much relative your stack, but the potential upside of a few more orbits to steal post is huge. (The people at your table may berate you and insult your intelligence for not checking it down or bluffing at a dry side pot, who cares? Maybe they'll even steam and come after you a little, big mistake on their part!)

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter. Most people do not play this situation optimally. In addition to the books, Mike Caro has written a nice piece on this, and Daniel Negreanu had a couple articles on this not long ago in cardplayer.

Hope this helps,

Eric

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-10-2004, 07:24 PM
The "right" thing to do is whatever you have to do to maximize *your* EV. If you're confident you have the all-in player beat, bet the third player out of the pot. If not, check it down.