PDA

View Full Version : Almond Joy and Mounds

Matty
05-10-2004, 06:32 PM
<font color="green">I suppose I should have raised this pre-flop:</font>

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Grey is UTG+1 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, Grey calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO <font color="purple">(Mounds)</font> calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Grey bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Mounds calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Grey bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Mounds raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Grey 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Mounds caps</font>, Grey calls.

River: (13 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Grey bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Mounds raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Grey 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Mounds caps</font>, Grey calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 21 BB, between Grey and Mounds.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Grey (21 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Grey shows Qc Ac (flush, ace high).
Mounds shows Kc 4c (flush, king high).
Outcome: Grey wins 21 BB. </font>

<font color="green">A few hands later, I'm the one without the nuts:</font>

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Grey is SB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button calls, Grey completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Grey bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Grey bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Grey calls.

River: (11.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Grey checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Grey calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.50 BB, between Grey, BB and UTG+1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Grey (14.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Grey shows Js 7s (flush, queen high).
BB shows Qd Qh (three of a kind, queens).
UTG+1 shows Kc 6d (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Grey wins 14.50 BB. </font>

<font color="green">Should I have reraised the turn to see where I stood?</font>

bakku
05-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Hand 1: Easy raise PF, the rest is fine

Hand 2: 3-bet the turn and call down if it's capped

Shalara
05-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Hand 1: I'd raise pre-flop, then go hog-wild. Perfect play on your part, though the raise would have helped /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hand 2: Ugh. I have this same problem sometimes. You must bet the flush on the turn, or you may be giving a lone A or K a shot at the nuts. At the same time, it could already be out there. I would just call the raise too. True, there are only two higher flushes out there, but your re-raise isn't going to do much here except cost you money if you're betting into a higher one. I would play it the same way.

Curious as to what others say on this one.

bakku
05-10-2004, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
True, there are only two higher flushes out there, but your re-raise isn't going to do much here except cost you money if you're betting into a higher one.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you're betting into a lower flush, two pair, or a set? I think a 3-bet on the turn is mandatory.

B Dids
05-10-2004, 07:34 PM
1- Yeah- raise that preflop.

2- I think you have to raise, if that wasn't a face card I'd fell better about calling down, but that could just easily be somebody who hit his queen.

ThrillFactor
05-10-2004, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Ugh. I have this same problem sometimes. You must bet the flush on the turn, or you may be giving a lone A or K a shot at the nuts. At the same time, it could already be out there. I would just call the raise too. True, there are only two higher flushes out there, but your re-raise isn't going to do much here except cost you money if you're betting into a higher one. I would play it the same way.

Curious as to what others say on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh is right. You cannot allow yourself to think like this - STOP LOOKING FOR MONSTERS! Once in a very blue moon they will be out there. The rest of the time you will more than make up for the 2 or 3 extra bets you loose that one time.

MUST RERAISE THE TURN!

edit: especially with the third player coming along for the ride.

Matty
05-10-2004, 08:39 PM
So do you think Mounds played correctly in the first hand?

B Dids
05-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Nope- he should have been pumping his draw on the flop. Between the two of you- the flop should have been capped.

Shalara
05-10-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if you're betting into a lower flush, two pair, or a set? I think a 3-bet on the turn is mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and ThrillFactor both bring up good points. If the raiser caps it after you 3-bet, would you find a river bet still appropriate?

bakku
05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
If he caps it I'd probably just check/call the river

cnfuzzd
05-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I like bisonbison's suggestion of putting a little toy dinosaur next to your monitor, and then repeat to yourself the following. "this is the only monster i see"

peace

john nickle

I named my dinosaur mortimer p frog. he is very cnfuzzd