PDA

View Full Version : One of the best rated console games ever being re-made

bernie
05-10-2004, 05:21 PM
It's been about 15+ years for them to finally pull their heads out but it looks like their doing it.

From the old nintendo (nes), comes the PC remake of...

PIRATES!

This game absolutely kicked ass back then. GOD i wasted alot of hours on it. I saw some screenshots and read a few previews. Wow.

Of course to play the frickin' thing ill have to get a new computer.

Anyone else remember this classic game?

b

Oski
05-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah: I had it on a Commodore64. I will have to check out this new version. That game fit within the "4-hour" rule, meaning you were guaranteed to be playing at least 4 hours once you booted it up. T'was the cause of many feigned illnesses to keep me home from school.

Cyrus
05-11-2004, 02:12 AM
I rarely see any messages on the net about the old hog and the websites are relatively very few.

nicky g
05-11-2004, 05:18 AM
I didn't myself but virtually all of my friends did. A great machine. Speedball 2 was the king of sports games. I ahve an amiga emulator on my PC, though I don't use it that much as I don't have a joystick. Unfortunately I can't get Persian Gulf Inferno, another one of my favourite games, to work. It's a massively racist and violent game that involves running around oil platforms shooting cartoon Arabs, but damn good fun. Also would have added topicality at the moment.

scotnt73
05-11-2004, 01:08 PM
i used to play pirates for days at a time. that game ruled.

bernie
05-11-2004, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That game fit within the "4-hour" rule, meaning you were guaranteed to be playing at least 4 hours once you booted it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the real cool things was you could be done within 4 hours. Every game was different but didnt take days on end to finish. The replayability was off the charts. Which just isnt really there in many games since then other than sports games. You could play, say, 5-10+ different adventures in the time it takes to finish 1 game that after you finish, will never play again.

Kind of in the same class as 'Rogue'.

They basically left the game alone, but expanded on some of the stuff. Adding some more depth to it. It wasnt broke, so they didnt really try to 'fix' it. They just updated it. (primarily graphic-wise, which from the screenshots, kick ass)

b

paland
05-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Let's hope they dont ruin it if/when they redo it. Although if Sid Meyer remakes it, it should be a pretty good game. Examples of ruined games include Master of Orion 3. The original and MOO2 were pretty good games.

ChipWrecked
05-12-2004, 07:57 PM
GameSpot's Pirates! page with screenshots etc. (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sidpirates/media.html)

bernie
05-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Great link. Too cool.

Now i have something other than college football to look forward to this fall.

This game is going to rock!

b