PDA

View Full Version : A decent hand, a check caller and a scary board

Double Eagle
05-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Stars $20 tourney, 60 players left, 45 get paid. I am at the end of a rush having gone from short stack to 3rd in chips within the space of 20 minutes or so, when I'm dealt the following hand. The relevant player seems to be very solid and is quite capable of slowplaying a monster (just limp re-raised all in with Aces a few minutes earlier.) Very interested in how you all would play the turn here, this seems to be a common situation for me - a decent hand, a check caller and a scary board. Would appreciate feedback on the thought process here....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 (t11535)
CO (t12320)
Button (t6982)
SB (t15954)
BB (t4482)
UTG (t3582)
Hero (t29418)
MP1 (t8626)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t3200</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls t2800 <font color="red">&lt;&lt; Seemingly solid player, would probably call with Big Ace or Medium PP 99 to JJ </font> , BB folds.

Flop: (t6350) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t3200</font>, SB calls t3200. <font color="red">OK, I don't see him calling PF with anything like AT, maybe club draw or 99/JJ? </font>

Turn: (t12750) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
SB checks <font color="red">Decision time - What's your move and why? Results to follow </font>

dmk
05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I can understand how it's a tough situation for you. I would have played slightly different.

Pre-flop: I think you're committing a bit too much. The 3200 is excessive; at this point in the tournament, 3xBB gets enough respect, no need to throw an extra 800 into the mix (sometimes 2xBB is the table standard). Perhaps this was the standard at your table, but it usually tightens up, a lot, at this point in the tournament. So, either make it 1600 or 2400 pre-flop instead of 3200.

Post-Flop: I'm split 50-50 between checking and betting out around 1600 or 2400. I'm probably more likely to follow this line though. I check through on the flop, and get bet at on the turn (this is almost automatic), I throw a raise back at him. If he re-raises, I probably drop it. If he folds, yay. If he calls, it's probably a good idea to check through the river.

Try not to tango too much w/ the other large stack at the table just yet. Pick on the little guys to build up your chips whenever possible. It's better to double up a short stack than the second largest one.

fnord_too
05-10-2004, 06:49 PM
I would check this flop I think. Sometimes I would lead it, depending on my image, but generally I check it. On the turn I am definitely betting out (assuming check check on the flop). I don't like a check raise here, since if I get palyed back at I've already committed a lot of chips to the pot. If my bet gets played back at, I can muck with ease. Also, I probably fold to a check bet on the flop. Your opponent probably respects your early position raise, so what could he possibly bet here (other than a bluff on a good read) that you would be ahead of or even have reasonable drawning chances against?

In the given situation, bet call on the flop, I'd lead again on the turn about half the time with arround 6400, and check fold to a bet over 3200 the other half. If I bet and was raised I would release, bet and a call and I check the river, if he bets out I have a gut wrenching decision to make.

Double Eagle
05-10-2004, 07:10 PM
I think you have the action backwards, he was in the small blind so was first to act post flop....

fnord_too
05-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Doh! You're right of course. Let me ammend my answer:

Would bet the flop only if my image were pretty tight and even then not that often. I'd bet the turn if checked too, but be ready to lay it down for a bigraise, and check it down on the river.

In the situation you presented, I would bet out 3200 or 6400 and fold to a big raise, and check it down on the river.

Double Eagle
05-11-2004, 03:31 AM
I decided to push here, obviously a huge mistake. I was actually pretty surprised to see he called the PF raise with this hand as it represented almost a quarter of his stack. As for the post flop play, I tend to think of check calling as a sign of weakness and that makes me want to attack. I'm really having a hard time sussing out the case where he's got a monster and is just laying for me. Should I have been able to get away from this hand?

Hero bets t9600</font>, SB calls t9504 (All-In).

River: (t31854) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t31854
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t31758 (t31758), between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t31758).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t96 (t96), overbet by Hero.</font>

SB shows 6s 6d (full house, sixes full of tens).
Hero shows As Kd (two pair, kings and tens).
Outcome: SB wins t31758. Hero wins t96.