PDA

View Full Version : Who is he kidding?

Phishy McFish
05-10-2004, 02:29 PM
I played a little heads up 1-on-1 on my lunch today. I'm playing a guy NL for $50 on Paradise and we are at the 15/30 blinds...to be fair...there is a lot of large preflop raising by both players. Our stacks are pretty equal....1100 to 900 him I think. I have AQs and raise it to 200 he raises it 20 400 and I call (if an A or Q fall I will push but if a lone K comes I vacate more than likely).

The flop comes AQx suited....but he diconnects right away......even before I have a chance to check or push. He's treated as "all-in" and my top 2 pair hold up against his KK.

He comes back online after 20+ hands and is calling ME a cheater for blinding him down (and I did it as fast as I could without any regrets and much joy!!).

My question has nothing to do with my playing of the hand (or trying to blind out the victory....cuz I have no issues with that.)

I'm finding it hilarious that he thinks I don't KNOW he saw the Ace and/or 3 suited flop and got the hell out of Dodge in case his Ks held up, but without risking having to put anythign else in.

Anyone buy his claim?

CountDuckula
05-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Hmmm.... My understanding is that when someone pulls the "oops, I accidentally lost my connection on purpose" stunt, they are generally back online right away. If it took 20+ hands for him to get back, it seems like it just might have been a legitimate glitch. Of course, in HU, that'd be pretty quick -- how much time would you estimate it actually took for him to return?

-Mike

Prickly Pete
05-10-2004, 03:11 PM
He could have done it on purpose, but I think disconnecting on purpose while heads up is a deathwish.

lostinthought
05-10-2004, 03:16 PM
usually all-in abusers are good at reconnecting pretty quickly..

you didn't cheat by stealing his blinds quickly, but it sounds like a legit connection prob..

enjoy the $50, and remember it when it happens to you..

Phishy McFish
05-10-2004, 03:32 PM
5-8 minutes tops...figure that pot took him down to 500 or so.....he loses 15 then 30 then 15.......etc....100/200 took him out as he came back on to push all in a few chips short of my BB.

If it were anything other than KK AFTER the huge preflop bet without an all-in (if you're getting action, that alone is strange in heads up) and he then disconnects on THAT board......he doesn't want to lay it down, but he certainly doesn't like what he sees.....so he figures I'll agree for the both of us that betting on this sizable pot stops here and we'll check it down....by unplugging the modem.

LetsRock
05-10-2004, 03:42 PM
I find it hard to believe that an "intetional" disconnect would take 5 minutes to "correct". Things really do happen at "unusual" times.

Doesn't matter. Take his blinds as fast as you can. You're gonna sit there and wait for who knows how long for him to connect? I don't think so. It's a tough break for him, but we're all in the same boat.

B Dids
05-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Exactly. Why waste your time waiting to see if he might come back. If you play online poker with a shitty connection, that's the risk in which you place yourself.

harboral
05-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Strange things happen. I have DSL and was reading the forum last night while playing three tables, one a $1/2 NL. There are the blinds plus 2 limpers to me in CO with Ace-Ace, I push raise to $5 and wait - then Party tells me I have a "connection problem....." and all my tables are frozen, but the forum here is fine............. it took about 3 minutes before my tables got back in order. AL

CountDuckula
05-10-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5-8 minutes tops...figure that pot took him down to 500 or so.....he loses 15 then 30 then 15.......etc....100/200 took him out as he came back on to push all in a few chips short of my BB.

If it were anything other than KK AFTER the huge preflop bet without an all-in (if you're getting action, that alone is strange in heads up) and he then disconnects on THAT board......he doesn't want to lay it down, but he certainly doesn't like what he sees.....so he figures I'll agree for the both of us that betting on this sizable pot stops here and we'll check it down....by unplugging the modem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think if it were intentional, he'd have been back in a matter of seconds, rather than minutes. However, I agree with LetsRock that it doesn't matter. I might wait a minute or so as a courtesy; but if it's longer than that, Ghu knows how long you'll have to wait for his connection to come back, and you might as well blind him out. It's not cheating, IMHO; it's taking advantage of an opponent's problems, but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

-Mike