PDA

View Full Version : Flop a non-nut flush- how to play it?

wayabvpar
05-10-2004, 02:15 PM
I played this hand recently, and I thought it had some interesting discussion points (and I would like to hear some opinions on how it should be played).

Game is Pokerstars 2/4. I am in the BB and am dealt J /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif. 4 limpers to me, and I check (should I raise here ALL the time?). Flop comes K /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, giving me third best flush with a bd straight flush draw.

How to play it? I checked, got a bettor and a caller (other two folded), and I smooth called. Turn was 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Same bettor, fold, I call. River is J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet out here, not wanted to risk having him check through as well. He called, and I took down the pot.

Several decisions in this hand were I could have played things differently. I could have check-raised the turn (which I think I should have done). I could have tried for a check raise on the river. Any thoughts?

Sarge85
05-10-2004, 02:19 PM
I'd just bet the flop...most won't put you on the immediate flush anyway - based on the action, I'd go for the check-raise on the turn.

You have the second best flush in this situation, so I'd jam the pot as hard as possible.

Sarge /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Chaos_ult
05-10-2004, 02:22 PM
You lost a lot of value from your hand by not raising. Normally I bet out on the flop. Given that you check/called the flop, you should check/raise the turn and lead the river.

Goodluck

Matt

Joe826
05-10-2004, 02:23 PM
You played that hand WAY too weakly. When the board flops 3 of a suit it defines the hand immediately. Those with spades will stay in and those without them will get out. Unless the other players have a baby spade, nothing you can do will get them out of the hand. I personally bet out on this flop and hope for a raise so I can 3-bet. If you check it then it's very possible it will get checked through if a passive player is trying to catch his spade. You must do something on the turn too. Check-raising wouldn't be bad if you knew your opponent would bet out, but I would usually lead this (especially if I lead out on the flop). I don't know what others think, but I play this hand straight-forward since all of the other players in the hand likely know what will be shown down.

btspider
05-10-2004, 02:26 PM
giving me third best flush with a bd straight flush draw

Of course, if you hit your backdoor draw, your hand would still have won unimproved.

Bet the flop and 3-bet rather than try to C/R a potential free card play on the turn.

wayabvpar
05-10-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Of course, if you hit your backdoor draw, your hand would still have won unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily (since the Q and 9 could fall and give me a SF with the A still out).

Thanks for the comments (keep 'em coming). I felt like I really played this hand weakly, and wanted to see if that was the popular opinion. Guess I have seen too many 1 or 2 outers hit to beat me recently /images/graemlins/grin.gif

btspider
05-10-2004, 03:05 PM
yes, thanks for the correction. blinded by the royal as always /images/graemlins/smile.gif

slogger
05-10-2004, 03:26 PM
I'd lead at the flop. The typical player is not putting you on the flush here. Given your vulnerability to an As or Qs (who are going to call every bet you put in anyway) and the possibility that you may even get someone to raise the flop, I'd want to get as much money into the pot as possible while I'm still pretty certain that I'm ahead.

Dynasty
05-10-2004, 03:42 PM
From one perspective, you should play a flopped flush the same as a flopped set, two-pair, or even just top pair. You should bet your hand until somebody else shows some sign of strength. Then, your hand reading skills need to tell you whether you have the best hand or not.

colgin
05-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Don't get tricky with this hand. I would bet out on the flop and continue to bet and raise at every opportunity until someone else gave clear indication that I was behind, at which point I would slow down.

tripdad
05-10-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily (since the Q and 9 could fall and give me a SF with the A still out).

[/ QUOTE ]

if you hit the Q and the 9, the A means nothing. you would have an unbeatable hand. remember, you have the J and T.

get all the money you can in the pot. start by betting out the first chance you get. you cannot mess around with trying to c/r when you are vulnerable to a higher flush.

cheers!

ynotgolf
05-11-2004, 09:07 PM
Hey buddy!

Seeing monsters under the bed again? Even my weak-tight ass agrees with the majority here, you gotta lead out when you hit a flop this hard.