PDA

View Full Version : QQ with a K on flop against 3 passive players

Eihli
05-10-2004, 02:07 PM
This situation has been coming up quite a bit and this has been my pretty much my standard play, just wanted to check up on it.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO raises, Button calls, Hero 3-bets, BB folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13 SB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button bets, Hero calls, MP2 folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.50 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

balkii
05-10-2004, 02:29 PM
If I have to call the river when I check, then it is better to bet. If you check, these passive players will only bet with hands that beat you. Which makes you a huge dog when you check and call. However, if you bet, they will call with many hands that you beat, and a few that beat you.

On this river you are a dog no matter which way you slice it, but you are less of a dog if you bet.

jrobb83
05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
I think there is a decent chance you were ahead the entire hand, and would probably bet the river. The thing that makes this play profitable even with the overcard to your queens is that so many people will raise with mid pp and then call all the way down to the river. I think if someone had a K you would have heard about it by now.

MAxx
05-10-2004, 02:52 PM
This is a tuff one. You have that feeling that one of those four players that called your 3 bets probably has a K. Well, ususally someone does. Especially, when everyone calls the flop bet. You coud even be surrounded by other players that have kings and are worried about whether their kickers are good. I do not know if their is a perfect answer here. I think you did the right thing here, but betting the river may be even better. Checking and folding river probably isnt too far behind that... but one more BB you might as well see it. However, if there was a single raise... at any time -muck it with out thinking twice.

WarmonkEd
05-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Yeah, this is a tough one. When you say they're "passive," does that mean the river bet by the button means he has a king? I guess from an odds point of view, he has to have a worse hand around 8% of the time for you to make this call.