PDA

View Full Version : hi/lo triple draw DECLARE rules

Gahnia radula
05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
I play hi/lo triple draw in a regular home game, and was wondering how the declare rule works

My understanding is that at the end of the final betting round players then have to declare wheather their hand is hi, lo or hi/lo

So far so good?

If a player declares hi/lo...wins the hi and looses the lo they forfiet the hi????

what about when its heads up??

what if 3 people stay to the river...the first 2 declare lo and the 3 person declares hi. Does the third player automatically take the hi??

There is other stuff that im not to sure about but i doubt i have the english skills to articulate it properly, so if someone could give me CLEAR and CONSISE rules and definititions of the DECLARE that would great or if anyone knows of any websites that would be also be great

Thanks

Gahnia radula

Phat Mack
05-10-2004, 03:30 PM
If a player declares hi/lo...wins the hi and looses the lo they forfiet the hi????

In all the games I've played in, yes.

Same rule, he forfeits the entire pot.

what if 3 people stay to the river...the first 2 declare lo and the 3 person declares hi. Does the third player automatically take the hi??

Yes, he has a lock. This makes it interesting if it's Bet-Declare-Bet. Some games will prohibit him from jamming.

There are several ways to declare. The best is to do so simultaneously. All remaining players put two chips in their hands and put both hands under the table. They transfer 1, 2 or no chips to their right hand, then extend that hand in front of them above the table. Upon word from the dealer, they open their fist and display the chips: 0 for low, 1 for high, 2 for both ways (I have seen the values assigned differently in the past, but this is most common). The dealer then announces the declarations of the players.

Another form of declaration is to declare sequentially, clockwise around the table. The last person to bet or raise is the first to declare. I haven't seen this form in a long long time, but it is usefull if there is a lot of scamming during a simultaneous declaration.

PS: I remember the best written rules for declare being in Morehead's book. Al Mirpuri, our staff historian and librarian, or may be along in a while with a better suggestion.

Iceman
05-10-2004, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play hi/lo triple draw in a regular home game, and was wondering how the declare rule works

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally, the rule is that anyone who declares both must win both sides outright. If they lose or tie for either side, they don't win any part of the pot. If no one who declares both wins both, then if all remaining players declared the same side the person who wins that side wins the pot. If everyone declares both, and nobody wins both, then split the pot between high and low.

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that at the end of the final betting round players then have to declare wheather their hand is hi, lo or hi/lo

So far so good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Declarations can be simultaneous or sequential. Simultaneous is a far better rule, since sequential declares give a gigantic advantage to the dealer.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If either person declares both and fails to scoop, the other person wins the whole pot. If both players declare the same side, the one who wins that side wins the whole pot. If both players declare both, and neither one scoops, then split the pot between high and low.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, no matter how bad his hand is.

bugstud
05-11-2004, 01:39 AM
Everything mentioned here is right, but maintain set rules for your game. In ours, you may tie, but not lose. Avoids the problem of two wheels that go both ways and technically an orphaned pot would exist.

Gahnia radula
05-11-2004, 01:26 PM
3 player remain till the declare

player A: declares hi
player B: hi/lo
player C: hi

If a player who declares hi/lo has to win both to win any piece of the pot....in this situation is there a lo?? Or does the pot just become a hi??

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Gahnia radula

Iceman
05-11-2004, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 player remain till the declare

player A: declares hi
player B: hi/lo
player C: hi

If a player who declares hi/lo has to win both to win any piece of the pot....in this situation is there a lo?? Or does the pot just become a hi??

Hope this makes sense

Thanks

Gahnia radula

[/ QUOTE ]

Player B must win high and low (even though no one declared low). If he fails to do that, whoever has the best high hand out of A and C wins the whole pot.

bugstud
05-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Another example:
A goes both ways with an A6xxx flush and a wheel
B goes low with A3467
C goes high with trip tens
D goes high with eights full

D and B split the pot.

The point of the tie rule is for something like this:
A has a straight flush wheel, goes both ways
B has a wheel, goes low

Under some rules, if A went both ways here, he'd lose the pot. Under mine, where you can tie, A gets 3/4.

Keep posting if you're still confused, it can be sorta annoying to grasp initially.

Phat Mack
05-11-2004, 04:40 PM
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Another example:
A goes both ways with an A6xxx flush and a wheel
B goes low with A3467
C goes high with trip tens
D goes high with eights full

D and B split the pot.
</pre><hr />

In many games, D gets the whole pot. (D gets A's low share by beating him for high.)