PDA

View Full Version : Stars $215 - How do you play this hand?

gcDanno
05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Hand #15. Blinds 15/30 I have T2420. Haven't played anything yet. All fold to MP maniac (T3115) who raises to 150. In SB I have 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif I re-raise to 420, maniac calls.
This guy raised almost everytime it was folded to him. Very rarely showed.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Your bet. What would you do? Results later. What about my preflop raise? Because I had been so tight, and this player so loose, I wanted to give the impression of a very strong hand. I also wanted to test the water and see how strong his hand was.

Edge34
05-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey Danno,

We'll see what people tell me, but there's only two plays I consider making on this flop with my set. Either I will LEAD all-in (rarely, but on this 3-club board, I don't like letting people stick around), or more likely, c/r all-in. You can probably expect a bet from this guy if you check to him, and since he may not call a straight all-in (since I don't know how much of a maniac he is, like what he's been showing down), give him a chance to put some of his chips in there. If he checks behind, which isn't highly likely, bet the turn.

-Edge

PlayerA
05-10-2004, 10:20 AM
I push. There is no other bet you can make that makes it incorrect for him to draw (except for an inside straight draw with no flush possibility) AND leaves you enough chips to make a correct bet on the turn. If he flopped a flush, you have outs.

gojacketz
05-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Haha, seems like the only time I flop a set nowadays is on monotone boards. I believe you have to fire away, most likely push in to keep him from drawing to the lone club. If he got lucky and flopped a flush, it is unfortunate, but you are still alive.

Try to shut out any draws or at least don't give him good odds on any possible draws.

Gojacketz

CrackerZack
05-10-2004, 11:33 AM
I like this line.

Jason Strasser
05-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Im not sure I would push here. I personally know that most maniacs would call a huge bet/all-in with a decent club. I would probably lead into him with a slightly larger than pot bet, if he pushes--of course you call. But if he calls, and the next card is a club, you may be able to throw your hand away and move on--or see the river cheap to try for the boat.

gcDanno
05-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Results ---

Nothing fancy about the result, I just wanted to know if I played it well or not. Because I had poor position, I figured I couldn't mess around and give this guy the opportunity to draw to the flush. If he has the K of clubs, then he should check my check.

So, therefore, I threw out 1000 chips and he thought for a long time and then folded. I believe anything less gets the call, and if a club hits, I'm going to be behind.

If he does call and a club hits, then I'm going to have to muck and and try to make a comeback. If he raises all in, then it's a quick call and if he flopped flush, I do have outs.

Thanks for your responses.
gc