PDA

View Full Version : Bailing out on the turn with 88

StellarWind
05-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
About 35% preflop/typical. I haven't been at the table very long. BB and MP1 both probably play a few too many hands but they don't seem to be the live ones.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds ...

How do you like it so far? Anyone want to keep going?

RED_RAIN
05-10-2004, 12:54 AM
I may be wrong. But raising pocket 8s UTG+1 is pretty agressive. Don't think I'm necessarily right about this as a wrong play...anyone have thoughts.

Ponks
05-10-2004, 01:44 AM
I think this is a good fold if he's any type of reasonable player. He's gotta think you have an ace or a hand like kings or queens here and if he's check raising the turn, I'd imagine he could beat pocket 8's.

Ponks

StellarWind
05-10-2004, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I may be wrong. But raising pocket 8s UTG+1 is pretty agressive. Don't think I'm necessarily right about this as a wrong play...anyone have thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]
Remember that this was an 8-player table. I'm only four off the button. I normally limp from true UTG+1.

Trix
05-10-2004, 08:34 AM
I like openlimping better if the BB is loose.

Rico Suave
05-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey Stellar:

I like your play here. I think the open raise is fine. I am concerned when both (decent) players call your flop bet--there are no obvious draws and they do not seem to fear a "big ace" from the preflop raiser. Since the turn brought another undercard to your 8s, I think you have no choice but to bet, but I think you have an easy fold to the check/raise.

--Rico

StellarWind
05-10-2004, 11:23 AM
MP1 called down with A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Too bad for him that BB has the nuts: 65o.

In retrospect, once MP1 calls the turn it's really likely that even catching BB in a bluff won't be good enough.

Thanks for taking a look.

Schmed
05-10-2004, 11:33 AM
I've gone to playing hands like this pretty standard meaning that I stopped bringing it in for a raise generally. I found that I make a lot more money when I hit my set if I have more callers in there. If you think your raise will get you against the blinds then raise but in most LL games you're better off calling and playing well after.

On the flop I'm in check fold mode. I didn't raise preflop so I wouldn't have bet at the flop. If I had raised preflop I bet the flop and then don't invest one more dime on the hand unless I hit a set after that.