PDA

View Full Version : TPTK vs TAG

bakku
05-09-2004, 11:49 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)
SB is TAG, I respect his play

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero ??

Nemesis
05-09-2004, 11:51 PM
personally i would have reraised him on the turn to see where he'd go with it. I would have gone ahead and called on the flop like you did because there's nothing more you can learn by a raise except he'll call you.

bakku
05-09-2004, 11:54 PM
My main question was what do you do when he checks to you on the river?

blackaces13
05-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Looks like one of those cases where you get a call when you're behind and a fold when you're ahead. Maybe he had 56 and just rivered a pair that he'll pay you off with but that's unlikely if he's a good player and a flushdraw won't pay you off.

I think I'd check, but I say to check a lot more than most it seems.

cold_cash
05-09-2004, 11:59 PM
I think he missed his flush.

I would check it behind unless you think he'll call you with a hand like A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

blackaces13
05-10-2004, 12:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would check it behind unless you think he'll call you with a hand like A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls you with that hand then stop playing at Party.

Sorry, I can never resist saying that. I'm immature.

dfscott
05-10-2004, 12:04 AM
If you didn't have the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, I'd put SB on a nut flush draw that missed. But I don't know if he'd bet that hard with the K if he's as tight as you say. More likely he hit 2 pair or set. If that's the case, I can't see him slowing up on the river, so this looks like a check-raise attempt. Regardless, I'd check here -- if you bet you'll only get called if you're beat.

dfscott
05-10-2004, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls you with that hand then stop playing at Party.

Sorry, I can never resist saying that. I'm immature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd definitely stop playing there since that would be two people with the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

cold_cash
05-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Oops. Well, you get my point. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MCS
05-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Add me to the list of those who suspect he missed a flush draw. With what other hand would a TAG 3-bet the flop and then check the river? Is SB tricky enough to try for a checkraise on the river with a set of 4's or 3's? That's all I can think of.

You don't say how the CO plays. I would suspect he has a draw and not third pair or something, so I think he also folds to a bet. I'd sort of shrug my shoulders and check, expecting CO to check and figuring MHIG.

bakku
05-10-2004, 12:30 AM
CO being in the hand is the only reason I considered betting the river, I had no read on him at the time I played the hand. If CO had folded on the turn I would have checked behind on the river for sure.

cold_cash
05-10-2004, 12:39 AM
I boned this one. I thought you guys were headsup.

With the CO in I think you should bet the river because he is more likely to call with a worse hand than the TAG is, correct?

You bet, CO calls, SB folds his busted flush, you win.

Sweeeeet.

(Or, you bet, CO calls, SB raises w/ his set of 4's, you fold, CO calls, SB wins, and I suck.)

I think I'd bet with CO still in though.

bakku
05-10-2004, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(Or, you bet, CO calls, SB raises w/ his set of 4's, you fold, CO calls, SB wins, and I suck.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet here, I don't think I can fold to a c/r although I'd be really tempted to..

sublime
05-10-2004, 07:21 AM
I would check behind, like you said you respect his play so do you expect him to call with a worse hand?

sublime
05-10-2004, 07:24 AM
Strike One! I thought this was HU.

Hmm CO's presence makes me wonder if a bet is worth it, in a large pot I would not be surprised if he calls with 2nd/Bottom pair.

ZootMurph
05-10-2004, 07:27 AM
I'd check the river. If CO checks, you get a look at his cards and get some kind of read. If he bets and the SB c/r, then you can easily fold because he almost has to have your TPTK beat.

BTW, I put SB on a set of 3s. It looks like he missed his flush draw, but I'm thinking he had a small pair and since the board fell out that way and he strung along two callers, he's hoping one of you will believe he was on a flush draw, and bet out so he can c/r and hopefully get 4 extra bets out of it.

Trix
05-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Bet the river and fold if he check-raise you.
It looks alot like he missed his draw with some kind of suited connecter.

TheRake
05-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Bakku,

Everyone seems to think SB is on some sort of draw. I disagree...I think he is on something like TT JJ or KQ. It is quite possible he would not 3 bet from the sb btf with these hands and he is 3 betting the flop to find out where he is. bets the turn as a follow up to his flop 3-bet and when he can't push anyone off thier hands he decides to check the river.

I think you should bet the river and fold to a c/r.

TheRake

bakku
05-10-2004, 05:53 PM
So I decided to throw caution to the wind and bet the river, CO called, SB check raised /images/graemlins/frown.gif, I couldn't bring myself to fold in this huge pot so I called, and CO folded. Sure enough, SB had 44 for the flopped set and took it down.

cold_cash
05-10-2004, 08:32 PM
That's a gutsy play on his part. I guess this is one of those times where you just tip your hat to him and move on.

At least we were right about the CO though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zetack
05-10-2004, 11:22 PM
I like your river bet although I'm clearly in the minority here. I think its a rare player that goes for a check raise here after playing the hand this way. Having the hand checked around would be too much of a disaster.

--Zetack