PDA

View Full Version : Chip %'s when calling all in bets

sqdncall
05-09-2004, 08:54 PM
What would be considered a proper % of chips to risk when calling all in bets? Scenerio is that you know your opponent is on a steal and you have any one of the following hands: AK, AQ, AJ, AT or KQ. Your in BB, Bluffer calls original bet then another player raises minimum bet, you call, then the bluffer goes all in. The original raiser folds. You have all in better covered. What % of your chips can you risk if your read on your opponent is correct? 10%, 20% 30% etc... This happened to me 6 times with 3 different opponents in last multi tourney which I called all 6 times. I was in the lead all 6 times and won 3 times and lost 3 times.
Any comments would be appreciated!

Greg (FossilMan)
05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Am I reading the question correctly? You seem to be asking for what percentage of your stack can you call an all-in raise when you know that you're ahead. If you really know that you're ahead (or notably ahead of his total range of hand), you call 100% of your stack.

You would need to be in a bubble situation before the answer would start to change. You never fold in the normal course when you know you're the favorite.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

sqdncall
05-09-2004, 10:09 PM
You are reading it correctly. The hands I have described are draw hands. I was curious if you know you have your opponent beat preflop with a draw hand is it wise to fold given the % of your chips you have to call with. I.E. the all in raise is to $4,000 and you have $6,000 left before the call. or you have $30,000 before the call. Is this a consideration or not?

Greg (FossilMan)
05-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Why do you call them draw hands? If you're ahead, the other guy is drawing, not you. If you're the favorite, and always call when it is so, you will almost never be wrong to do so. Now, sometimes you might have been better off betting out, or raising more, or whatever. Just because you called all-in as a favorite doesn't mean you played the hand the best way possible. But it certainly means you could've played the hand worse (i.e., folded).

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

The Prince
05-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Hi,

like Greg said, who cares if they are drawing hands, are they better drawing hands than your opponent's hand? If so, then you should be happy to call for all your chips.

And if you had a hand like 22 or 33, a hand you will call a made hand, you should seriously consider folding, as this will be a situation where you're either a big underdog or a very slight favorite.

Of course, you have to consider what pot odds you are getting.

Nicolas Fradet
www.wptinsider.com (http://www.wptinsider.com)