PDA

View Full Version : aa on the button

jdbrooks14
05-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I was in a $20 buy in online tourney. It started w/ 590 players. The top 60 places paid, from 50th-60 place was $44. There were 68 players left, the blinds were 300/600. I had 3800 chips, avg was 4300, and about 10 players had less than 1000. The player under the gun made it 1200 to go, he had 3500 chips. The next player called, he had 5200 chips. Everyone else folded to me, I was on the button w/ aa. I rasied all in figuring the 2 others had big pairs. Both called. The flop came q4q, turn 9, river 5. Under the gun won w/ 5's full. The other caller had kq. I just recently finished Sklanky's tournament poker book, and re-read his case for folding aa. I think a good case could be made for folding, here, but also think raising w/ 2 early position players was the correct play. If I had won, it would have put me at over 12k in chips and good position to win a bigger prize.

Any and all thoughts welcome.
Thanks,
jb

banditbdl
05-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Not the time to fold AA. You're a big time favorite to triple up here and give yourself a shot at the big money. Folding AA preflop has more to do with satellite tournaments where you are on the bubble, effectively the last 60 people would all recieve the same prize. Then survival would be more important, but in a regular tourney you shouldn't be playing just to get "in the money" you need to play in order to give yourself a shot at the big money.

sdplayerb
05-09-2004, 03:41 PM
That is about the easiest pushin ever.
There is little money to be made crawling into the money. It is all in the top couple spots.
You are only saying this because somebody got lucky.
There is no case to be made for folding.

There is basically no case to ever folding AA unless some kind of a satellite.

Tosh
05-09-2004, 04:26 PM
You made the only possible move. If you fold this you shouldn't be playing.

jwvdcw
05-09-2004, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding AA preflop has more to do with satellite tournaments where you are on the bubble, effectively the last 60 people would all recieve the same prize. Then survival would be more important, but in a regular tourney you shouldn't be playing just to get "in the money" you need to play in order to give yourself a shot at the big money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed completely...being a winning multi-tourney player over the long run isn't about barely squeaking into the money as much as possible imo. Its about making those few huge wins that really bump your bankroll.

Yarney
05-09-2004, 11:11 PM
The only other thing yuo could do here is wait to see the flop before you go all in to see if it could have made someone else a favorite over your hand (which it did in this case). Still, getting two callers with AA pre-flop is never a bad play. Look at it this way, what hand would you rather have?

-Yarney

Tosh
05-09-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only other thing yuo could do here is wait to see the flop before you go all in to see if it could have made someone else a favorite over your hand (which it did in this case). Still, getting two callers with AA pre-flop is never a bad play. Look at it this way, what hand would you rather have?

-Yarney

[/ QUOTE ]

What flop can you actually get away from ? Pushing is the only option.

gojacketz
05-10-2004, 10:51 AM
You may want to reread that section again (or maybe I should). I believe the only time you consider pitching aces is in a super sat, or when moving up one or two places gives you a significant increase in return. $44 is not a significant increase, the significant increases are in the final five... Move in.

gojacketz

Yarney
05-10-2004, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What flop can you actually get away from ? Pushing is the only option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely. Any flop that would give a big hand to the kind of hands that would have called the big bets before the flop. If you're playing your aces aggressively before the flop then people are only going to be staying in with quality hands (like KQ). If two kings or two queens come on the flop you have to be worried that your aces are no good now.

-Yarney

Whitey
05-10-2004, 12:08 PM
After a raise and a reraise KQ is NOT a quality hand.

In fact after a raise KQ is not a quality hand(depending on the raiser).

Pushing in was the correct play,you just got unlucky.