PDA

View Full Version : highly successful bluff

tripdad
05-09-2004, 02:33 PM
lately, i've been using minimum bets for my bluff hands when i have position and it is checked to me. this works much better and more frequently induces folds than anything i've tried before. what do you think?

cheers!

CrisBrown
05-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi tripdad,

I will often bluff (or bet with a monster flop with no draws) by betting 2xBB or some other nominal amount. It looks like a bet that wants a call -- and sometimes it is! -- so it's an inexpensive way to probe a hand and often take a small pot with a marginal holding. But yes, this should only be used in position, and of course you have to go away if you get any real pressure.

This basically "trains" your opponents to jump all over your nominal bets -- thinking they're bluffs -- so when you do have that monster flop, you can get a nice payoff.

Cris

tripdad
05-09-2004, 04:46 PM
the idea came to me while watching WPT. Jennifer Harmon puts in the minimum raise preflop. everyone folds to BB(phil helmuth). he scratches his head and says aloud he thinks she has aces. he calls with KQ. he eventually folds, but she did have AA. the point is, her minimum raise scared the hell out of him more than if she had raised 3 or 4 times blind.

cheers!

blackaces13
05-09-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but she did have AA. the point is, her minimum raise scared the hell out of him more than if she had raised 3 or 4 times blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like she should have went ahead and bet 3 or 4X the BB with the Aces then doesn't it?

tripdad
05-09-2004, 05:19 PM
she definitely would have cleaned up. next time she will min-raise with crap and phil will be forced to dump his monster.

cheers!