PDA

View Full Version : Properly aggressive or reckless?

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Just recently started ratcheting up the aggression, pushing hands that have missed. I have only 34 hands with guy in this hand, who sees 26% of flops, and has played those hands pretty weakly. Rest of table is your usual band of Party idiots, but plays a bit tighter than typical preflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, but thinks a while.

River: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>.

tripdad
05-09-2004, 02:29 PM
this is a great spot for the check/call on flop, bet out on turn play...my new standard bluff.

cheers!

chesspain
05-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Whereas I applaud your attempts to play more aggressively, I don't know if this was the hand for it. Indeed, I'm not sure what the flop raise accomplishes, since you are behind most logical hands MP2 could have (with the exception of AJ/KQ). While there probably is no harm in calling the flop bet, with the intention of folding the turn unimproved, your flop raise-turn bet only makes sense if you think you are going to push MP2 off of a hand like 88. In fact, I can't think of any other better hand he could have that he might consider folding here.

Consequently, once he calls the turn bet, you are simply wasting your money betting the river, since there is no way he is folding any pair here, and if he actually has AJ/KQ he is probably going to fold anyway.

BigBaitsim (milo)
05-09-2004, 05:01 PM
He folded, but I think this was a bad play.

PassiveCaller
05-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Agreed....

3-bet pre-flop. Get UTG and the BB out for sure.. This would make the hand easier to play after the flop as well.

ProfLupin
05-09-2004, 05:21 PM
This was my thought exactly...if you're going to play this hand aggressively, why not start preflop? I can see you calling if your hand was suited, but AQo loves to go HU.

sthief09
05-09-2004, 07:05 PM
if I didn't know who you were and you tried your new standard bluff on me, I'd either trap you if I had a hand or call you down if I didn't. that play is obvious IMO because any real hand will c/r, but I don't doubt that it works against the Party monkeys.