PDA

View Full Version : Hand from the Big Challenge--Felt like I was folding a winner

DougBrennan
05-09-2004, 10:31 AM
This hand came from Level IV in the North America vs. Europe challenge yesterday. It seems pretty clear-cut today, but at the time I felt like I was folding a winner, and I'm curious if anyone would have played it differently.

Blinds 50/100 14 left average stack about 2600. I am the Button with about 2600, and wayabvpar was Cutoff with with almost 1700. Action was folded to way who raised to 300. Lots and lots of pots were being taken with just an open-raise, and I read way as being on a steal. In addition, I had 44 which I wanted to play. So I called.

Flop:A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I kind of liked this flop. I felt like there was a decent chance way was stealing without an A, the 3 and the 5 didn't scare me, plus I had a gutshot draw. So I was planning on calling a reasonable bet, and betting if checked to. And then wayabvpar bet 500!

Not an earth-shattering amount, 2/3 of the pot, but enough so that, reluctantly, I decided to credit him with an Ace, and I folded. Which was certainly the prudent thing to do, given that I don't think, in theory, betting over 20% of your stack on an unimproved pair of 4's against two overcards is too smart. But it still felt like I was folding the best hand.

Would anyone have done anything differently, up to and including either not calling pre-flop or raising somewhere?

Doug

Stoneii
05-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi Doug

If you read him for a steal then preflop I might test it by reraising his 300.

Apart from that, after flop I'd fold it too to his raise as it gets way too expensive to start fighting now, even if you still have best hand now, you just know in the suckout extraordinaire, he'll hit his King or Queen:)

Well played yesterday

stoneii

wayabvpar
05-09-2004, 09:11 PM
'Twas a good fold- I actually had the goods that time. To wit-
[ QUOTE ]
Dealt to wayabvpar [Ac Js]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had top pair with a decent kicker, and a backdoor nut flush draw. I will readily admit to not always holding cards that matched my bets yesterday, but this time I had a pretty decent hand =)

DougBrennan
05-10-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you read him for a steal then preflop I might test it by reraising his 300

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a good recommendation. Glad I didn't though, based on his response below yours, stoneii.

Way, thanks for your reply. My biggest leak, BY FAR, is calling with hands I'm not really pot-committed to, but emotionally-committed to. It's good to get positive reinforcement for one of my rare laydowns. (I think I may play better in these 2+2 events, since I am more likely to fold a hand, thinking "I'm not letting these guys see me play THAT." /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Doug

Stoneii
05-10-2004, 06:16 PM
yeah, it's embarrasing when you get caught playing woefully and these guys get to see your cards when you do it /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

However, knowing I'm in such good company I only play a handful of terrible plays versus my normal bucketload (and I have played some terrible terrible poker these last few days - absolute cack).

I'd be embarrased for me if I was watching /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TILT - must stay off TILT - repeat ten times with a smile and then relax.