PDA

View Full Version : A few hand samples. Hows my play?

cianosheehan
05-09-2004, 09:03 AM
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

River: (9 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Qh (one pair, aces).
MP2 shows Jd 7h (two pair, jacks and sevens).
Outcome: MP2 wins 11 BB. </font>
I was cautious here because MP2 had been very aggressive. Was I too weak, even though he drew out on me? What about controlling the other players in the pot?

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (4 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, Button raises, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero bets, BB calls, Button raises, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB bets, Button raises, Hero folds, BB 3-bets, Button calls.

River: (12 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, Button bets, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

BB shows Td Qs (high card, ace).
Button shows 9s Kh (high card, ace).
Outcome: Button wins 14 BB. </font>
Again, too weak? I thought I was definately beaten. I suppose this is one of the bad things about playing multi-tables.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.25.
~*PT*~ folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 bets $0.45 (All-In), MP2 folds, Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds.

River: (10.10 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: 10.10 BB

UTG shows (flush, ace high).
MP1 shows 5h 5c (one pair, fives).
Hero shows Ad Jd (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.08 BB. </font>

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB 3-bets, Hero caps, MP3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB checks, Hero bets, BB raises, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
BB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

BB shows 7s Qs (two pair, sevens and twos).
Hero shows Ah Kd (one pair, twos).
Outcome: BB wins 14 BB. </font>
Is this just one of those situations where their horrible play pays them off (3 betting with Q7on ????). Frustrating. Looking back, I dont know why I called the river. Maybe I should have just folded on the re-raise on the turn.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero raises, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP2 raises, Hero 3-bets, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

No showdown. Hero wins 6.50 BB. </font>

Thanks in advance

Shalara
05-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Hand One: I can see I'd lose some money on this one...

Pre-flop: I would raise this hand from any position pre-flop, even the blinds.

3-bet the flop. Not only is your hand strong, but it puts a lot of pressure on the flush draws. Having a bettor to your right, and you raising, they not only have to call 2 bets to stay in, but they may be looking at having to do this every round.

Bet the turn. Raise like crazy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Club draws, straight draws, possible weak aces that might make two pair... lots of hands you'd like to get out of there. Even if MP2 has AJ, your odds of winning {drawing out} improve somewhat if you can get heads-up.

River: Bet-call. Or check-call if there's been *really* heavy betting out there indicating someone might have beaten you. But I'd have to see it.

Hand 2: Short-handed. Ugh. I'm not very good at short-handed, but I will tell you my {likely terrible} play.

Pre-Flop: Re-raise or fold.
Flop: Eh... Will he definitely bet? Check-raise. If not sure, come out betting, and re-raise.
Turn: Bet. Fold if raised.
River: Bet.

Would really *love* to see some responses to this, because short-handed is easily my biggest weak spot.

Hand 3:

Pre-flop: Raise. You have a really nice hand. If you make top pair, it's probably the best hand. If you make jacks, still the best. A potential flush or straight draw too... and you've probably got the best hand right now. Definitely raise.

Flop: Good bet.

Turn: You picked up a nut flush draw. You still have top pair. A call might be nice in case you hit your flush, as you don't want to scare anyone out. Still, a king, queen, or random bit of junk could wreck your hand. I would probably still raise and not count on the flush, as the pot is big enough to win right now, but I don't think it would be too terrible to call.

River: Um... just noticed something. Where is UTG? I see that he also had a flush. But I don't see him in the action. And I only noticed one all-in... what am I missing? Nice hand, by the way.

Hand 4:

I would play the same way, except I'd fold the turn. At this point, I'd figure him for having flopped a set and filled up on the turn. Or having an over-pair on the flop, and waiting to pop me on the turn.

Hand 5:

Perfect. Very nice.

afs
05-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Hand 1: Raise pre-flop and you shouldn't have this trouble on the flop.

Hand 2: This is hard w/o reads on the players ... I'd likely fold on the turn too, but I'm a weak tight fool. And yeah, maybe multitabling is to blame. I'm sure there's a 'right' way to play this, but I dunno what it is. Actually, three-betting the flop might not be bad, but I'd want to see what others say.

Hand 3: Looks good to me.

Hand 4: Check the turn. Check-fold the river. If yr opponent is the sort who will _always_ see the turn and frequently fold there, the bet might be ok, but in this case you gotta fold to the check-raise. I still say check 99% of the time &amp; be happy w/ the free card.

Hand 5: Well played.

dfscott
05-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Posting this prior to reading responses so sorry if I say something that's already been said...

Hand 1:
I raise this pre-flop in any position.
I'd re-raise w/ TPTK (you're beat, but you can't know this). If he caps, you can slow down then.

Hand 2:
I'm not good at short-handed play, but I'd probably fold this pre-flop to a raise.

Hand 3:
Exactly how I would've played it.

Hand 4:
I think you're up against trips on the turn. I'd fold to the raise. (I'm bad at chasing w/ big slick, so I may be compensating here.)

Hand 5:
This looks like good agressive play to me. If you're beat, they'll let you know by raising.

Nemesis
05-09-2004, 08:12 PM
Hand 1:
Pre-Flop: Raise
Flop: Reraise and see where you're at. You have TP good kicker. If he caps then start thinking about slowing down.
Turn: I'd lead into him again and call another raise.
River: Check/Call probably. I would have lost much more than you did, but you MAY have made him fold on the reraise.

Hand 2: not really a short handed player, but i think the preflop raise, and then the raise when an A hits are sure signs that he's made a pair of aces. I don't think your fold was particularly weak.

Hand 3: I like the play on all streets. If you'd been raised on the flop, i'd have re-raised TPTK, and a backdoor flush. Although, why did you raise your AJs, but not AQs in first pot?

Hand 4: Still a huge problem area to me, i won't even venture a guess. I don't know when to let my large unpaired cards go.

Hand 5: Well played, BET BET BET with those big paired cards, don't let people outdraw you. Good job.