PDA

View Full Version : KJs hand

M.B.E.
05-09-2004, 05:45 AM
NLHE one-table winner-take-all. Actually Round I of a double-shootout (same diff). Of seven players remaining, I am 5th in chips with 1650.

Blinds 25/50. With K/images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif I openraise to 150, three off the button. Button (2280) calls, others fold. Pot is 375.

Flop K/images/graemlins/heart.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I check, button bets 250, I call.

Turn Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif giving me flush draw in addition to two pair. 875 in pot, I have 1250 left. What's my play?

t_perkin
05-09-2004, 06:29 AM
This is really about extracting as much as possible here. You have a good hand and in a winner takes all you have to take a few more risks to get that first place.

There are a lot of approaches you could take here, the obvious to me seem:

check-min raise then sell it on the river.

check raise all in

check call, check raise on the river

min bet, looking to move in or sell it on the river.

Which one you choose basically depends on your read of him I think.

With nothing to go on I would go for the check-min raise and sell it on the river.

Tim

p.s:
Interestingly I suggested something similar to the double shootouts on the MTT forum about 9 months ago and everyone shat on me for having such a stupid idea. Well I would just like to take this opportunity to say HA-HA-HA

M.B.E.
05-09-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Tim. In the actual hand I pushed in on the turn. My opponent thought for a while and folded. In retrospect I think either checking or making a small bet would have been better. Based on how the hand was played, AK is quite a likely holding for opponent -- I thought he might have called my allin with AK but probably not. With KQJ on board, my opponent could easily have had a straight draw and I did not want to risk giving a free card by going for the checkraise.