PDA

View Full Version : Am I a pay station or what?

Andy B
05-09-2004, 01:55 AM
Canterbury $6/12 game. Loose-aggressive type open-raises from the cut-off seat. Button folds. Loose SB calls. I call with <font color="red">Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif</font>.

Flop comes J/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB checks, I bet, CO raises, SB folds, and I call. Turn is the <font color="red">9:</font>/images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check and call. River is a blank. I check and call. All comments welcome.

SpacePirate
05-09-2004, 02:27 AM
I would just check and fold the flop. I would never try to draw for a straight with a board like that.

-SpacePirate

bicyclekick
05-09-2004, 02:34 AM
What a great bunch of games over the day. Too bad I dropped 54BB. hehe. Happens. I've made it back times 3 since online, so it's all good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Who was the villian?

I think your play given a standard loose aggressive in that game is fine.

I'm not worried about the spades. I think you might be good against an overplayed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif something else here. The problem with this hand is if you're going to call the turn, you gotta call the river. I wouldn't over think this hand too much. Seems pretty standard and not much you coulda done too different. If you're not gonna stay to the end if you hit a pair even when no spade hits you gotta fold teh flop.

tripdad
05-09-2004, 02:17 PM
with a lag, why bet out the flop? seems to me there is a really good chance of being raised no matter what he holds.

if he is a lag bluffer, call down because you beat a bluff. if he just overplays decent hands, then fold because you cannot beat a decent hand.

cheers!

Mike Haven
05-09-2004, 03:14 PM
there's 36 in the pot on the flop and with three spades, jack and ten, i would say you probably have only eight outs that you'd be happy to see, a drawing hand needing 5 to 1 - so check-calling the flop would seem best to me

you pick up another happy out, possible winner, on the turn - you're likely still to be drawing, but to nine outs

when the blank hits a crying call is reasonable in my book

bicyclekick
05-10-2004, 11:58 PM
results?

slavic
05-11-2004, 12:21 AM
It's kind of hard to out Aggressive a LAG but I think you played it fine. The 3 spades mean you won't pick this pot up early unless no spade is out. Oh well. Since the turn gives you showdown power I tend to want to see it through. A naked ace or a small pair always seems to be played just like this from a LAG. If he has the flush, well he has the flush, but he certainly doesn't need to be suited to raise from this position.

RED_RAIN
05-11-2004, 12:24 AM
I think the check/call on flop is better. See where you are at on the turn as to how you continue.

Andy B
05-16-2004, 05:51 PM
I certainly wouldn't draw to a straight on a flush board in a multi-way pot myself. With only three of us, though, I thought that it was worth playing for this pot. I feel that betting the flop is distinctly superior to checking and calling. The flop is moderately scary, and I should be able to buy it on the flop a reasonable percentage of the time. When I'm raised, it looks like I'm going to need to hit to win, but I should have at least eight outs, and I may have as many as 14. I think that with a made flush, the pre-flop raiser would more than likely wait until the turn to pop it. With a big spade in the hole, I think he'd probably call to keep the other guy in, unless he also had, say, top pair. On balance, I think my straight is good most of the time if I hit.

Having bought a pair on the turn, I now beat AK and smaller pocket pairs. I have to call now, and I think I have enough showdown value to call on the river, too. I think that check-raising the turn would have been a viable alternative.

Opponent showed down 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif and my hand was good. Fortunately, this hand took place during the late stages of a Timberwolves playoff game, so not too many people were paying attention.