PDA

View Full Version : Hey look, it's another JJ hand. Preflop question with an all-in.

bisonbison
05-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, Hero raises, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button 3-bets $5 (All-In), SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Hero bets, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Hero bets, MP3 calls, CO folds.

River: (10.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in) </font>
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

By the time I realized that the preflop 3-better had gone all-in, I'd already called. I have a theory that I should be 3-betting or capping preflop when the opportunity arises (with someone raising all-in), even with hands like TT or AQo, since I probably have an advantage over the coldcallers.

Any opinions? Or is the increased pot size gonna bite me in the ass?

asdf1234
05-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Do you flop a set every time you have JJ? Please teach me.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a theory that I should be 3-betting or capping preflop when the opportunity arises (with someone raising all-in), even with hands like TT or AQo, since I probably have an advantage over the coldcallers

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally think the same thing.

StellarWind
05-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Paradise will not allow you to reraise in this situation. The all-in raise for 1/2 bet or less does not keep the betting open.

What is the Party rule?

I've never thought about this strategy before. I'm glad you brought it up.

One thing that seems clear is that the all-in reduces the chance that JJ can win the main pot. You can't push him out of the hand while he is drawing to his overcards. That gives you less incentive to hang around after a bad flop which decreases your winning chances in the side pot.

The positive factors are:

1. You have the best hand in the side pot.

2. The cap is deceptive against this level of opponent.

3. The big hand won't be attacking you at a time when you need a cheap showdown.

4. You get a wilder image. Most of your opponents won't understand the raise and will think you cap with anything.

All told I think it's a great play.