PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Little Hand

Festus22
05-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Never quite sure what's the best line of play with something like this.

Table is not typical loose Party but more like neutral, passive.

J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB. UTG+1 limps, folded to the CO who limps, SB completes, I check.

Flop [7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]. SB checks, I bet, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I check, UTG+1 checks, CO bets, I fold, UTG+1 folds.

Flop bet OK?
Lead the turn and fold to a raise?
Take it to showdown unless the board get ugly?

Playing the big stuff is pretty straightforward but I think I'm missing out on hands like these. My win rate is always around 5-7% which I think is a point or 2 low. Hang in more with hands like this?

SoCalPat
05-08-2004, 08:45 AM
Your hand needs a lot of help before I'd be comfortable betting out the flop. If it contained 2 hearts or gave you top pair, I could see betting out here.

But if you don't improve at all, your screaming to the rest of the field, "My hand isn't that good!", when you check the turn and anyone with position who chooses to could probably bet you off the hand.

You're going to spend one bet on this flop no matter what, but it'd be nice if you could see turn for free. Check here, and if you think hands like this are the reason you're not winning more, think again.

ZootMurph
05-08-2004, 10:25 AM
This type of hand does come up a lot and seems to be a regular post here. So, we need to go strictly by the numbers.

On the flop, you COULD be ahead, although doubtful. You really have to bet to see where you are. You have a backdoor flush draw in addition to the pair and 5 outs (Js and 6s). If someone raises you, it may be best to let it go. With that flop, a raise is doubtful.

On the turn, you are reduced to five outs, none of which are guaranteed clean. You are getting 3.5:1 pot odds, on 5 dirty outs (8.2:1 odds needed). So, only if you think your pair of 6s is still good can you lead out. Otherwise, you have to check/fold. I honestly don't see any other way to play it except get REAL aggressive and try to steal, but in a passive game, it probably ain't gonna happen.