PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's WSOP tv schedule

Sundevils21
05-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Does anybody have ESPN's schedule for when they are showing the different events of the wsop? Somebody posted it on one of these forums, but when i search for it I can't find it. I knew i should have added it to my fav. threads.
Could someone please post it here. Thanks.

ShaneSpear
05-08-2004, 12:04 AM
http://espn.go.com/eoe/wsop_schedule.html

MadSci
05-08-2004, 01:04 AM
It's great that they are covering events besides the final. I hope the WPT gets a 7-stud event.
BUT, it kinda sucks that we have to wait untill mid NOVEMBER to see the end of the main event.

After Fox Sports had an apparent success with "Showdown at the Sands" last fall, can't we have some "same week coverage" of poker? I find myself not caring enough about WPT events to watch. I read about what happened the same or next day, people discuss it, and then I'm done.

eastbay
05-08-2004, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's great that they are covering events besides the final. I hope the WPT gets a 7-stud event.
BUT, it kinda sucks that we have to wait untill mid NOVEMBER to see the end of the main event.

After Fox Sports had an apparent success with "Showdown at the Sands" last fall, can't we have some "same week coverage" of poker? I find myself not caring enough about WPT events to watch. I read about what happened the same or next day, people discuss it, and then I'm done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. This is beyond silly. It's like showing the super bowl six months later. Who cares then?

eastbay

daryn
05-08-2004, 03:13 AM
i think the wpt's target audience doesn't know who wins the tourneys before they see it on tv, so they don't care that it happened months before.

wayabvpar
05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
If waiting a few months keeps Jesse May from being the lead commentator, I don't mind waiting.

Thanks for the schedule link! Time to get TiVo ready for all the new poker =)

toots
05-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Maybe Faux Sports could contract with Varkonyi to shave Jesse May's toupee off.

samjjones
05-10-2004, 05:26 PM
I think the main problem is that it takes forever to put the hole card/graphics/editing stuff together at this point in time. Not to mention that ESPN needs time to put the bio pieces together. Sure, hardcore fans would watch the unedited mess, but the 95% of the casual viewing public needs this stuff polished for them.

Dynasty
05-10-2004, 07:04 PM
When was the 2003 WSOP main even first televised last year?

Mikey
05-11-2004, 06:04 AM
I'm getting my VCR ready for next month!!!

Mackas
05-11-2004, 06:37 AM
What? How can you not like Jesse May?

Once you realise how much he does actually know about poker (check out his WSOP and WPT championship reviews and commentaries at www.goodgamblingguide.co.uk (http://www.goodgamblingguide.co.uk) the best poker journalism on the net IMO as well as his book "Shut up and deal") all his "did he think that 4 was an Ace, Barney? Is that why he raised?" takes on a whole new slapstick genius sheen. You just gotta love Jesse.

Tyler Durden
05-11-2004, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Early July, I'm pretty sure.

wayabvpar
05-11-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't doubt his poker credentials. I just find his braying voice and over the top delivery unbearable. If it wasn't for Lederer and Konik making the occasional salient point, I would have turned off the Showdown at the Sands (or at least muted it).

sweetjazz
05-11-2004, 03:43 PM
"This is no limit hold 'em... any two will do!"

"Three Jacks on the flipper!"

"Miracle on fifth street!"

"But -- whoa -- he just picked up two snowmen!"

What's not to like?

GimmeDaWatch
05-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Ya, Im loving that they're expanding the coverage, but just doling out one episode per week is beyond lame. There's no way it should take them that long to put together each episode. That said, I think we can all agree that ESPN's coverage blows the WPT and Fox Sports out of the water, not even taking into account how unthinkably annoying Jesse May is. Vince VP already gets on my last nerve, but I almost have to mute the sound when May is yelling his nonsense into the microphone. Obviously, TV poker is still in its fetal stages, and many improvements are left to be made. Is anybody else annoyed at the fact that they only show the final 6 on the WPT, and 2 of the 6 are usually short-stacked? I find these later hands to be of much less interest than the early and middle stages of the tournaments, where alot more strategy and jockying for position takes place. Also, can it get any more lame and Brit-boring that Late Night Poker?

MicroBob
05-16-2004, 11:53 PM
just because televised poker is still young isn't an excuse for awful announcing.

i am sure there are competent and professional play-by-play announcers who could handle a poker broadcast.

most play-by-play announcers in baseball, football, etc weren't great players in their respective sports. they were professional broadcasters who learned the game and how to call the game competently.

regardless of jesse may's poker-background...it is obvious he has had little to no experience and background in broadcasting....and it shows.

Lon McEchran on the WSOP may be proof of my theory. i dont believe he has too much of a poker-background...but he knows the basics of the game and i thought did a very good job on the PxP of the WSOP.

this is obviously different than the role of the 'expert commentator' where some experience in the game is typically preferred.
i thought Lederer was pretty solid as a commentator at the Showdown at the Sands.

i thought Norman Chad was adequate on the WSOP...he seemed to know quite a bit of the history and the background of many of the players. he was far from an expert....but you have to figure most candidates for that position were already playing in the event.

aaronjacobg
05-17-2004, 05:43 PM
i definitely agree with the statement about the final table only s**t on the WPT. Many episodes spend the second half with just a series of back-to-back all-in plays for the blind, which by this point are so large that this is the right,(if not terribly boring) play. The full tournament format allows us to see how the members of the final table built their stacks and shows many large pots that do not end with the words "all-in." ESPN is infinitely better than WPT.

Jake

TimTimSalabim
05-17-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Early July, I'm pretty sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall it being much later than that, like October or so. I remember waiting for it a long long time.

BettnTibetn
05-17-2004, 06:01 PM
no it was in the summer

TimTimSalabim
05-17-2004, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no it was in the summer

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. My memory must be failing. The final round aired August 26, 2003, according to Yahoo.

B Dids
05-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Chad was OK, his obvious dislike for Helmuth was a little silly. He'd be worse, but VVP just makes his bad jokes look witty by comparison.

Oddly, at one point ESPN2 had some of their WSOP coverage on the for some reason the commentary track wasn't playing- so all you heard as the table talk. Kinda fun to watch.