PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a fund for income and growth

fleece_me
05-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I have it narrowed down to Oakmark Equity & Income (OAKBX), Vanguard Star (VGSTX) or Dodge and Cox Balanced (DODBX).

Oakmark is already +5% this year not to mention their expenses are high. Dodge and Cox is a lifetime high performer and I like Vanguard's low expenses.

What sets Oakmark apart?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

ericd
05-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Based upon past performance those are 3 excellent funds. I hedged that first sentence on purpose to emphasize that I am not (nor should I) advising you on which, if any, to choose. I'm just pointing out on a grand scale the differences between them.

From conservation to liberal, but not near the ends of either spectrum, are Vanguard, Dodge then Oakmark. Without having a prospectus of any, it appears that Vanguard invests primarily in other Mutual Funds making it quite different from Dodge and Oakmark. The major difference between those 2 (again without a prospectus) is that Oakmark is authorized to speculate more (ie low grade debt as well as foreign securities) enabling them, if done well, to "goose" their returns but adding some risk. Doing that well requires more work on their part which should tie into the greater expense.

Eric