PDA

View Full Version : Standard against an unknown?

Saborion
05-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6.66 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 6.66 BB, between Hero and Button.</font>

Saborion
05-08-2004, 07:08 AM
bump

Randy Burgess
05-08-2004, 07:43 AM
I assume by the title of the post that you're saying you had no read on your opponent and this was perhaps your first direct encounter with him.

If this is the case, you obviously played it right by showing down as cheaply as possible. Whether or not he has a Queen and was just timid on the river isn't so much the point; rather, you don't want him to get the idea he can run you over in future hands. Mason Malmuth wrote a good column about this idea in Card Player a year or so ago.

Saborion
05-08-2004, 09:17 AM
Yah, I was new at the table and didn't have any notes on him. Given how often players (and myself) switch tables I usually have to rely on notes on players. As after this hand, I wrote down this players style in this hand.

The disadvantage of relying on notes is against people that adjust to your play, but those are not that common in the 3/6 games, and against those I often have some stats or notes as well, knowing that they too can play.

Guido
05-10-2004, 03:13 AM
I bet the turn again because I don't believe he has a queen. When he raises I let go...

Guido

trillig
05-10-2004, 06:18 AM
I'm expecting the op to flip over KK, that ace looks like it scared him.

I'd have probably checked the flop and folded to a bet, not enough money to chase down here since it went heads up.

-t

tpir90036
05-10-2004, 12:07 PM
i have been having a lot of problems with the standard line in hands like this. there are 4.66BB on the turn, assuming he bets the turn and the river and you call you are getting 6.66:2 = 3.33:1 to call down. do you think you will win here more than 25% of the time? i ask becasue i do not know the answer. i *think* the answer is yes.... so i suppose that i think this is standard.

what were the results?

Haupt_234
05-10-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd have probably checked the flop and folded to a bet

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is heads up and the player is out of position. As checking the flop will induce a bluff a good percentage of the time, laying the hand down isn't the way to play it in this situation. Also, since the pot is heads up, the opponent could be reaising anything from a lower pocket pair to A9, to even the flush draw.

I'de say betting the flop was def. the right thing to do, and check/calling down after a raise.

Haupt_234

Saborion
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Opponent had black 2's.