PDA

View Full Version : betting rdraws

06-29-2002, 03:12 PM
When should a player be betting either:

A) flopped 4-flush draws to the nuts and

B) flopped open-ended straight draws (assumong their is no pair or two flush on the board)?

The factors I would consider are:

-the number of opponents (the if heads up or more than three opponents I would be more inclined to bet)

-the table (weak/passive or aggressive),

-my position (in LP I may buy a free card but in EP I may drive out other players but can also attempt a check-raise)

-was there a pre-flop raiser (because they may likely bet it for me or raise if I bet and drive out other players),

-where that pre-flop raiser is in position to me (if the pre-flop raiser is next to act, my bet and his/her raise forces everyone else to call two bets, but if the pre-flop raiser is on the button when I am in EP, my bet may be called by other players before the pre-flop raiser bets again, making it more likely that the players in between will call one more bet).

I am typically confused by this situation because a bet (semi-bluff) will sweeten the pot when I win, build a larger pot to make it correct for me to see the river, buy me a free card and/or allow me to show strength and perhaps win the hand without a showdown if I miss.

However, a bet may also drive out players who may become tied to the pot if the turn helps them, allow me to get out cheaply when I miss, and prevent me from being re-raised and isolated.

I know with each draw I am about 2:1 to make it by the river and approximately 5:1 on the turn and river, so does that mean a bet is automatic if there are more than three players unless I can reasonably expect someone else to bet it for me (such as a pre-flop raiser) and would like to:

1) go for a check-raise or

2) think that the other players would call one bet but not two?

06-29-2002, 06:58 PM
The worst that can happen is that you are raised and end up heads-up. The second worst is if you are called by someone who is sure to show his pair down. Even if there are 3 of you you are still getting even money for your bet.

Getting one call, however, usually means your semi-steal chances are good. Its only when this one players is tight and sure to have a show-down pair that you are stuck. If you get more than 2 calls you have succesfully "bet for value", if you get exactly 2 calls its a waste of time. Betting also disguises your real bets.

All-in-all, the good far outweighs the bad. If the betting round gets checked-around you should wish you had bet. Realistically the major consern is whether the player right behind you will raise. If you have reason to suspect that then don't bet; otherwise routinely bet.

- Louie

06-29-2002, 08:42 PM
wait til you get to the point of betting your draws on the turn when you know your beat. those are fun, maalox moments. but they sure can pay off.

b