PDA

View Full Version : Milestone in my Poker Career : A Thank You

GuyOnTilt
05-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,

Well, it's been a year now since I first registered here on 2+2, and what a year it's been. I looked back on my first few posts, and boy did I suck at poker. I was definitely a losing player 12 months ago, and still would be if it wasn't for the great help of the posters here, specifically in the Small Stakes. Poker has seriously changed my life; whether it's been for better or for worse is subjective, but there's no doubt that my life is different because of it. Since I became a winning player, something like 11 months ago probably, I've built up a bankroll from .5/1, quit my job, dropped out of college (though I still live on campus /images/graemlins/wink.gif ), and am now playing poker full-time. I'm currently in the low mid-stakes (15/30 and 20/40 mostly), and probably will be for quite some time. The financial freedom that poker's given me has been a huge relief for me and allowed me to do a lot of things that I never would've been able to were it not for poker. So once again, I owe you all a whole lot. Bernie, JoeTall, Bob T, MG, Homer, Clark, Tommy, Lil, Rachele, Dynasty, MK, and a whole bunch of others who taught me the ropes and turned me from a losing player to a moderately winning one, you guys are the best.

Thanks again guys,

GoT

Gamblor
05-07-2004, 07:50 PM
You're thanking all these people for dropping out of college?

Poker is amazing, and even a good living. But there's so much cool stuff to know I don't think that's among the better ideas in history man.

Tons o' respect for your play.

No respect for the dropout. Unless you were in Psych, in which case you are better off.

MaxPower
05-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I remember playing with you on the 3/6 games on Party about a year ago. I just went back and looked at some hands that you played in Pokertracker. The first two I looked at you cold called a raise with JTo and you limped in EP with J9o. You played OK post-flop though (actually I wasn't thrilled with the way I played a few of the hands)

I can't imagine why anyone would want to drop out of college. I hope you made the right decision for yourself. I don't know your reasons. I imagine you could go to college and still play a whole lot of poker, so I assume it wasn't entirely a poker thing.

Good luck and keep hanging around here. I need some serious help with my game.

Non_Comformist
05-07-2004, 08:32 PM
I think turning pro is a great idea however dude you need to go to college. If for nothing else than the sense of satisfaction you get from finishing. It's real and it feels great. I may never use my degree but I am very thankful that I can say I have a college degree and I certainly would not want to be 65 and wishing I had gone to school.
Besides there are a ton of hot chicks on every college campus.

B Dids
05-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Screw that. College ain't for everybody, don't try and apply your standards to other folk.

Anadrol 50
05-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Really....

Bill Gates dropped out, I know he only plays 3-6, but he is doing alright....

banditbdl
05-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Congrats on the Milestone Guy. Forget all this bashing about your decision to drop out of college too, if your grades have been decent while you were in its not like you won't be able finish up a degree later on if you so choose (Hell, you can even pay with Poker money). The only downside would be losing out on the college "experience" and it sounds like you're doing just fine with that /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

SinCityGuy
05-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Congratulations and continued success to you, GoT. You've worked hard to become a good player, and it is nice to see that you're reaping the benefits of your hard work. More importantly, you're a good person, and I enjoyed meeting you and The Dude on one of your recent visits.

I just passed the one year mark from the time I was dealt my first hand of Texas Holdem, and I can't believe that I have come so far this quickly. I still have a long way to go to become a really good player, but I share your sentiment in how much I have learned from the great ones in the forums (Dynasty, Clarkmeister, Tommy Angelo, Ed Miller just to name a few, there are so many others).

Best of luck to you, and I'm sure I'll be running in to you from time to time at the local rooms.

lil'
05-08-2004, 12:07 PM
GOT,

It took me twice as long to get to where you did in less than a year. I'm jealous.

Mike Gallo
05-08-2004, 12:18 PM
GOT,

Congrats and your welcome.

I have to through up the opposite type of post.

I start a real job 5-17-04 which means I will probably have to semi retire from playing poker /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Stay tuned for my swan song.

Bump-en-Stein
05-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Congrats! Don't forget to thank "Chris Moneymaker" for making your recent Vegas trip so memorable.

Sredni Vashtar
05-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Nice post.

You have sown Shania, and reaped her sweet fruit.

Continued success,

SV

MMMMMM
05-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Sredni, I really wish you would post here more; the forum just isn't complete without the musings of a ferret.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-09-2004, 09:14 AM
A "real job"??? I've had one of those most of my life. Trust me, they're not as much fun as people claim. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MMMMMM
05-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I've never had a real job I liked. Here's hoping it never happens again /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob T.
05-09-2004, 01:15 PM
GOT.

It took me three tries, and ten years to graduate from college. (My vice at the time was tournament bridge) By the time I did, I knew why I was finishing, and was able to use my education to get a position that I wanted. If you just looked at the fact that it took me ten years to get a BA in psychology, I never would have gotten the job, but my other experience more than compensated for my less than traditional educational path.

I know, that if the internet, and internet poker was in the state that it is today, when I was in college, it would have been both difficult, and unlikely that I would have ever graduated, or gotten a real job.

Best of luck, wherever this leads you.

Bob T.

sthief09
05-09-2004, 02:09 PM
you remind me of one of those HS or college basketball studs. you're young, you're talented (I'd kill to have picked up the game as fast as you), and you can make a killing just playing the game.

I admit I have the same tendencies as you, as far as school goes. with a tough final on Friday, I took a trip to AC on Wednesday. When I try to study I have a hard time keeping my mind off the game. Instead of trying to get a good internship over the summer, I settled for something part-time so I could log a lot of hours playing poker, making more money. part of me is almost happy that I'm not as talented as you are, because I'd play and think about the game even more than I do now.

I just hope you don't get bored of the game, but if you do, I hope that you'll finish up college. I'm a sophomore now, and I have some friends from home that decided to take a year or two off before going to college. Now that they're in the routine of life on their own, they have dismissed the idea of ever going back to school.

I think for someone to pick up the game as fast as you, he probably has to be brilliant. It would be a shame for someone who's capable of graduating with his eyes closed to choose not to, while other people struggle just to get by.

I know that's not what you hear, and I have no authority to be saying this since I'm your age, 20. I don't know you or your life or background, but I think at the least we share the same feelings about the game.

Congratulations on your success and good luck with the future. Sorry if this is all out of line since I'm new here and know very little about you, but I just thought I'd throw out my 20 year-old perspective on things to go along with the more mature responses.

Slacker13
05-09-2004, 03:29 PM
Congatulations. When reading your post though the
[ QUOTE ]
dropped out of college

[/ QUOTE ]
thing bugged me. I cannot agree with that decision. What happens if poker dries up in a few years? There could come a time when there is a lot of sharks looking for food.
Good story otherwise. Hope it continues to go well.

Joe Tall
05-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Prodigal Son (Max credited you with this and he was right),

I'd like to thank you for your help and keeping this LAG straight. Well done.

As for the side topic of College; I've got Bob T. beat by 1 year. I was in and out of College after blowing my ACL in my freshmen year. I was a devistated kid. I took a few years off and when part time for a bit after.

I couldn't stand not playing basketball in college, so I dropped out again.

I worked in my field and started taking night classes then I went part time and worked thoughout finishing up 2 years ago.

I would never have found the job I have without my degree and I'm very thankful that I stuck it out.

There is time to consider such things.

Peace,
Joe Tall

MicroBob
05-09-2004, 06:49 PM
congrats to you and your success.

if i'm playing in the 15/30 games within a year i would be more than pleased. right now, i would happy to be playing in the 5/10 online (or maybe 10/20) games in the next year....but i am taking things rather gradually.

as for the 'debate' in this thread...it seems the 2+2'ers may have collectively come to some amazing conclusions.

for some, finishing college is a worthwhile endeavor with benefits. for others, it is not for them and not all it's cracked up to be.

golly!!

don't let others tell you how to live your life (including me).
and to the 'others'....don't tell someone else how to live their life either.
although, i guess the fact that i'm telling you this right now means that i am violating my own rule...interesting.

i finished college in 4 years and got my degree...and to this day i still really wish i hadn't bothered. i enjoyed my general college experience (friends, girls, etc) but also found much of it to be a waste of time.

it is entirely possible to get a broad view of the world without college....in fact, it's arguable that college PREVENTS you from getting as broad a view of the world as you otherwise might be able.

i agree with the idea of not playing so much poker that you shelter yourself from having any other worldly experiences. but i don't understand why people assume that those who play poker full-time are, in fact, shutting themselves out of anything at all.
for me, full-time poker has given me MORE freedom....and i expect the amount of freedom i get to actually increase as i build my bankroll (more time for travel, choosing where and when i want to work/live, etc).

the 'real' jobs that often require more like 50-60 hours a week instead of 40 hours are far more freedom-limiting in my limited experience. i know some occupations are great...others are not too far removed from the satire of such films as 'Office Space' and 'Clockwatchers'.

if you love your job and loved your college experience...great!!

but to apply your standards of why college is so important to someone else's situation (particularly a situation you know virtually nothing about) is inappropriate and inconsiderate.

1800GAMBLER
05-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Similar paths. We're 2 days away from me being here for 1 year. I'm at $2k NL buy in. I've just switched over to 10/20 15/30 6 max limit for the last 2 weeks since i'm bored of NL. Another thanks to everyone here who helped me learn. re: college. I put off going for this year to travel and play poker, i've finally re-applied to go next year though.

Jimbo
05-09-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
....don't tell someone else how to live their life either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? It is up to them whether to listen or not.

[ QUOTE ]
but to apply your standards of why college is so important to someone else's situation (particularly a situation you know virtually nothing about) is inappropriate and inconsiderate.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are sooooo funny! What do you think you are doing by telling others what not to do? Inappropriate and inconsiderate my behind.

Jimbo

MRBAA
05-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Bill Gates is a really bad example of a dropout. First of all, he dropped out of Harvard -- so he was already pretty damn far above average. Second of all he dropped out because the business that became Microsoft was so much more compelling, not to "find himself" or play poker (and from what I've read he was a strong poker player and won consistently in college games). Third, his father was a multimillionaire banker and was ready to back Bill's fledgling business with $1.2mm in seed money.

I'm not saying whether dropping out is a good or bad thing for GOT, but I will say that comparing a typical kid who bags college with no prospects to Gates isn't accurate. His case might be more like an athlete who drops out to take a multimillion dollar pro contract.

BeerMoney
05-09-2004, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Screw that. College ain't for everybody, don't try and apply your standards to other folk.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good line. But if someone drops out just because someone doesn't feel like doing the work, or whatever, its lame. Not doing something cause you don't want to do the work is a pretty sorry excuse.

Going to college should be looked at as a priviledge, not a punishment. People around the world sacrifice so much so that they or their kids can go to college. Dropping out cause your too lazy is sad.

Poker will always be there for GOT. Going back and getting a degree later in life is a pain in the ass. He should stick it out and appreciate the fact that he has an opportunity to learn.

(I'm not saying that college is a ticket to success, its just a good opportunity for learning and personal development. Surely GoT will do better than most with sociology or psych degrees.)

Look Drunk, Play Drunk
BeerMoney

James282
05-10-2004, 01:27 AM
More like a multi-thousand pro contract. But regardless, they don't disallow you from returning to college if you want to later. Do what makes you happy now, and worry about the long term when long term comes. I personally am infinitely grateful for my college experience and I don't know who I would have become without it. It's pretty frightening to think about. It sounds like you are getting some decent world experience without it, so good for you. I will say, though, that being young and in college is a once in a lifetime experience, I would deeply regret never having experienced it. The games aren't going anywhere, but your youth is. Anyway the tone of your post was quite happy, and for that I congratulate you, because in the end it is simply about being happy in the now.
-James

MicroBob
05-10-2004, 01:50 AM
Jimbo -
my apologies if you don't agree with the ideas of my post.
i acknowledge a certain amount of contradiction (and already did so in the previous post). i'm glad you found humour in my 'logic' or relative lack thereof.

i just did not like seeing a guy get criticized for a 'thank you' and 'feel good' type of post.
everyone jumped on him for his brief mention of not going to school.

i don't believe he was seeking advice regarding this choice in his life so i didn't think he deserved a whole herd of posters coming on here telling him how wrong he is for taking his life in that direction.

i don't like seeing a ton of 20-year-olds dropping out of school to play poker any more than the next guy...especially since a solid percentage of them will not succeed.
but this particular poster seems to be having a certain amount of success at it and seems quite happy.

bernie
05-10-2004, 02:11 PM
i thought awhile as to how to respond to this post. Greatly flattered that i was included with the group of posters you listed.

I try and read most of your stuff resulting in learning something new or confirming some of my own thoughts on a concept. So dont think it's been just one-sided bub! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
You're name should be on most posters lists. New and old.

Seems with everyone moving up limits and finding success, i got some catching up to do. This post should help me with some inspiration for that. Meanwhile, ill live vicariously 'til i pull my head out. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

In a way, im glad ya moved so i dont have to worry about ya in my cardbarn. Though youd be more on Slavic's table than mine. heh heh. Id rather let him deal with a player of your caliber.

Someday I hope to sit at your table. Show you how to reload a rack a chips like nobody's business. But until then, keep kicking ass.

It is amazing how far you've gone in only a year. Now excuse me while I brush off the rubber from your tires from my clothes. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thank you too.

Keep flopping aces and faces.

b

bdk3clash
05-10-2004, 03:19 PM
People often think about what proportion of successful people didn't graduate from college when they should be thinking about what proportion of people who didn't graduate from college are successful, whatever "successful" means.

GOT, I don't know your situation, so I won't comment on it, but I can say that I enjoy (and learn from) your posts. Keep up the good work, and congrats on reaching this milestone.

namknils
05-10-2004, 05:14 PM
I agree, college isn't for everyone.

Congrats on a great year.

GuyOnTilt
05-11-2004, 10:55 PM
In a way, im glad ya moved so i dont have to worry about ya in my cardbarn...Someday I hope to sit at your table.

Don't get too excited, but I'm coming up to Seattle in a week and a half. I'm going to try to make a trip down to the Muck sometime in my 2 week'ish stay, hopefully not getting carded.

Show you how to reload a rack a chips like nobody's business.

You don't have to reload if you buy in 7 racks to begin with. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Oh yes my friend, my first trip to the Muck will be frought with mountains and mountains of red cheques. Bring extra cash accordingly.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
05-11-2004, 11:12 PM
You're thanking all these people for dropping out of college?

Yes, that's exactly what the point of my post was. Good job!

When I first didn't come back to college, it was meant to be a single semester thing, having nothing to do with poker. But during those 4 months, I experience tremendous growth as a poker player and a dramatic increase in my financial stability. I realized that there was a decent probability that I would be able to make six figures in the next 12 months, and decided to give it a go and take another 2 semesters off. Since then, I've found that I'm virutally guanteed to make six figures logging only 20 hours/wk. Yes, that means that I could be taking classes and continue my poker playing, but instead of paying 25k/yr to get my degree, I've decided to use my extra hours to start working serious hours and am saving my money up like a madman. The thought of poker and eventually passive income (see saving my money up like a madman) versus the norm of BA, entry level job, mid-management, retirement is too tempting for my feeble character to resist. So off I go into unorthodox water. Maybe someday I'll regret it, or maybe I'll look back and say it was one of the best decisions of my life. But I'm never going to fully know what poker may or may not hold for me if I'm content to dip my toes in the water and call it a day. So for better or for worse, I'm a professional poker player.

FWIW, my mother (a very conservative woman who initally hated the idea of poker so much that she forbade me to play online under her roof) is in agreement with my decision to forgo a college degree in pursuit of cash and, ultimately, investments and passive income. I love my mom. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

turnipmonster
05-12-2004, 12:21 AM
it sounds like you're making the right decision for you, and that's the most important thing. I quit college for a year to tour with a band, and it was a great year that changed my life. good luck, and congratulations.

--turnipmonster

bernie
05-12-2004, 12:43 AM
Give a PM and we'll see if we cant get together. Maybe we can pry Slavic from his studies and have him come along. It's been awhile since a Seattle roundtable. I think it'd be kinda fun.

Maybe some other seattle 2+2 guys too, if they're up for it.

b

slavic
05-12-2004, 02:53 AM
Am I the only one who is playing FT so that I could go back to school? Geez, I'm so behind the times.

BTW have you seen what the Co-ed hotties dress in? Wow almost makes a man want to give up on Sandra Bullock.

Congrats on the milestone.

The Dude
05-12-2004, 04:24 AM
GoT and I have had some long discussions about whether he should go back to school or not, and his decision is fine, at least for now.

If poker ever dries up, he can always go back to school. He'll be in the same situation any other student is in, except instead of swimming in debt when he graduates he'll be swimming in cash. Financially, he's making the right choice.

As far as his long-term goals and personal desires... well, that's for him to decide. Who are you (or who am I, for that matter) to tell GoT what he wants out of life? He may regret not plogging straight through school, he may not. But if he does, it won't be financial concerns that cause it.

The Dude
05-12-2004, 04:25 AM
I'll be there, man.

nicky g
05-12-2004, 06:54 AM
"I've never had a real job I liked."

Nor me. Though I've only had three. But anything involving spending your day in an office with a bunch of office type people - bleurgh. Bleurgh bleurgh bleurgh.

nicky g
05-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Damn, are your really making that much? How long can the poker boom last when lots of people are taking that much money out of it? Is the supply of fish infinite? I mean people must be losing serious serious wonga.

MicroBob
05-12-2004, 08:52 AM
and that's just the tip of the iceburg.

there are a ton of people losing money everyday in the B&M casinos playing slots, carnival games, roulette, etc.

it truly boggles the mind.

my favorite online fish has dropped 3k in the past month and a half or so playing 2/4, never multi-tabling (and that's just the hands against me on p-tracker...he has to have lost more during times i didn't play against him).

i saw a different player at my 2/4 table the other night with $750 or so (thats a heck of a lot for 2/4). he was taking every hand to the river no matter what.
after dropping $200 or so he tried to make it back on 3/6. after he lost another $200 there he moved to 15/30 (where i was only able to watch, although i was tempted to sit).
he got rid of his $750 roll in about an hour or so i think (maybe a little longer).
and he was seated when i initially got to the 2/4 table...so he may have lost much more than that for all i know.

short version of the story - there are a lot of bad players out there with a lot of money.
hopefully, they won't all be gone by the time i make it to 15/30 (which should take longer than a year i suspect).

Alobar
05-12-2004, 09:21 AM
screw everyone who is giving you hell about dropping out of college. Most of them are prolly older guys who never made it through college anyway. I don't get why people think college is some sort of "must". If you can get through life just fine wihtout it, why bother? These same people prolly would tell kevin garnett or kobe bryant that not going to college was a mistake "the NBA will always be there, you should go to college". blah blah blah. Live your life man, sounds like you're happy and thats all that matters.

Wake up CALL
05-12-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These same people prolly would tell kevin garnett or kobe bryant that not going to college was a mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting choice to compare someone with. Perhaps you haven't been following the news lately. Kobe would have been better off in college than going to trial for rape in Colorado. You got any better successful role models?

Clarkmeister
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
These same people prolly would tell kevin garnett or kobe bryant that not going to college was a mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting choice to compare someone with. Perhaps you haven't been following the news lately. Kobe would have been better off in college than going to trial for rape in Colorado. You got any better successful role models?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd have been out of college by the time the alleged incident occurred.

Wake up CALL
05-12-2004, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I doubt very much if he would be out of highschool yet, much less college, if he wasn't a basketball phenom. Also he is only 25 years old, not necessary that he would be out of college at the time of the rape.

GuyOnTilt
05-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Actually I doubt very much if he would be out of highschool yet, much less college, if he wasn't a basketball phenom. Also he is only 25 years old, not necessary that he would be out of college at the time of the rape.

Alleged rape. And if you're trying to imply or somehow allude that not going to college leads to a sub-par or degenerate life, you should just stop now. Saying that Kobe Bryant is a prime example just because someone accused him of rape is ludicrous.

GoT

Wake up CALL
05-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Actually I wasn't implying anything other than what I stated. I believe I suggested to the poster that he chose a poor person for his example of a person who chose not to go to college yet was successful. I still maintain that putting yourself in a position to be accused of rape is not preferable to attending college.

GuyOnTilt
05-12-2004, 03:41 PM
I still maintain that putting yourself in a position to be accused of rape is not preferable to attending college.

I'll keep that in mind, since it has so much to do with the topic at hand.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
05-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Hey Sredni,

Man, you really need to start posting here more often. In the very few posts you have made, I've taken away a lot.

Thanks,

GoT

Wake up CALL
05-12-2004, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I still maintain that putting yourself in a position to be accused of rape is not preferable to attending college.

I'll keep that in mind, since it has so much to do with the topic at hand.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it may, I am not even suggesting that a similar fate would ever befall you. After all how likely is it that you will either be wealthy or famous grinding it out at the poker table? I doubt you should be worried about boffing any 19 year old hardbodies in a 4 star hotel who will holler rape because you are a celebrity.

Clarkmeister
05-12-2004, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I doubt very much if he would be out of highschool yet, much less college, if he wasn't a basketball phenom.

[/ QUOTE ]

He graduated High School with a 3.0 GPA, had an SAT score of 1080 and is fluent in 3 languages. Somehow I think he would have been OK without basketball. I wonder why it is that you assumed he couldn't have made it through High School without the help of basketball?

lefty rosen
05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Kobe is not a boyz in the hood sucess story. His dad played in the NBA and he grewup in a neighbourhood where all his neighbours were white collar workers. Graduating highschool is the equivalent of graduating grammar school in a neighbourhood like that.

banditbdl
05-12-2004, 04:50 PM
How does Kobe's not attending college have anything to do at all with him being accused of rape? Please note, that the trial is in the state of Colorado, the same state where dozens of college athletes have been implicated in a longstanding tradition of raping young hardbodies. I'm in college, whether you go to college or not is not gonna have much of an influence on your moral values. You either are the type of married guy who would have questionable sex with a complete stranger (Kobe) or you aren't. Last I checked there weren't any classes titled Not Having Sex with Strangers 101 at any colleges out there.

The whole point of the matter is that Guy has established a lucrative form of income for himself that doesn't require a college degree and he's choosing to roll with the poker pro thing for a while. If Guy at some point decides he doesn't want to continue as a poker pro and want's to get a job requiring a college degree then all he has to do is go back and finish up, simple as that.

lefty rosen
05-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Those games are going to beatable for the rest of your life and so will the inflationary equivalent in years to come. Southern California has too many people with money to burn. By the way where do you plan to live once you can no longer live in the subsized dorms of your former university? Los Angeles' housing is through the roof ?

CrackerZack
05-12-2004, 04:59 PM
You should. Didn't you know the 12 yr old threw herself at Amarillo Slim and then went to the cops the next morning after the "celebrity" wouldn't pay up? These top poker players need to watch out!

ElSapo
05-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Hey Guy...

...this is really in response to other people, I suppose, but I'll post in in reply to your original message. Take it for what it is and what it's worth -- my opinion, and probably not much.

I said the same thing in a response some time ago to MG in NJ, and that was regarding taking a shot at a higher limit. And while the two events (not going to college, and his shot) are not exactly analagous, the thought process is -- or at least should have been.

Whatever decision you make (not Guy necessarily, but the capital You) is fine and good as long as you make it consciously and understand it. After that, well, what more can you ask for?

There are as many decisions in every instance, and ways to get through life, as there are people on this fantastic planet we live on. Everyone is different, and the exact same choices are not right for any two people.

I strongly believe that as long as you make your choices and decisions consciously, look at the possible outcomes, and work to understand why you are making those choices, you're going to be fine.

And that's 'You,' I mean, not just Guy.

Thanks for posting here Guy, you've helped a lot of us.

El Sapo

jedi
05-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Just to throw in my 2 cents here:

People are right that college isn't for everyone, and it seems like you've thought out your choice to quit school.

I would like to suggest an alternative. Go to college part time. Take 4 years to get an AA from a junior college and prepare yourself for the jump into a university if you feel like it in the future. If you ever do need to go out and get a job, having a degree will be better than just having "professional poker player" on your resume, no matter how smart you are.

krazyace5
05-13-2004, 12:53 AM
Wake up call, nice name since it is what you need!

Your Kobe arguements are weak.

Why do you assume Kobe is uneducated?

Is it his fault for being a target of "alleged rape" because he is successful.

College opens the door for plenty of instances of "alleged rape"

I am sure we have all been put in a situation to be accused of rape at one time or another. College has nothing to do with it. You make it sound like Kobe said one day, hmmm... I could go to college or I could put myself in a position to be accused of rape, hmmm... yeah thats it! I'll go the rape route. Yeah thats the ticket.

Also Kobe is a good example in the text the previous posters statement was making. Whether he did rape or not he was successful without college.

MicroBob
05-13-2004, 02:00 AM
"Please note, that the trial is in the state of Colorado, the same state where dozens of college athletes have been implicated in a longstanding tradition of raping young hardbodies."

this is exactly what i was thinking.

it hasn't gotten as much publicity...but several Colorado University football players are really in hot water right now as is their head-coach. and there's little doubt that CU is the only problem that has athletes that do such things

i don't really care to comment on the Kobe issue....but i do wish to comment on the implication that college is somehow immune to these societal problems.

i think most are aware that there seems to be a growning number of crimes being committed by college athletes....seemingly more-so at the high-profile D-I programs, although these are the schools that are going to get the most attention obviously.

outside of the collegiate athletic department....rape and date-rape are huge problems on a lot of college campuses.
i don't think this can be emphasized enough in fact.

regardless of whether Kobe is guilty of the charges or not, i find it pretty ridiculous to imply that his current situation had something to do with his decision to play pro-ball instead of college.

ddubois
05-13-2004, 09:10 PM
"If you ever do need to go out and get a job, having a degree will be better than just having "professional poker player" on your resume, no matter how smart you are."

Truth.

GOT, if you are as smart as you seem to think you are, there are much better ways to earn money. The world is an oyster for the intellegent and educated. But you won't ever become a mutual fund chairman or a VP of engineering by dropping out of school. I think you are making a huge mistake. We are in a poker poom at the moment, but this is transitory and the 100k/yr's are very unlikely to last. A degree and a career, on the other hand, will last until you retire.

Besides, how you can't find time for 20/hr a week of poker while attending college is beyond me. I spent twice that drinking beer and playing computer games when I was in college.

DcifrThs
05-13-2004, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're name should be on most posters lists. New and old.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've only been posting here for about two or 3 months and have read every archived post i could get my hands on before i even posted once. through all that i've seen GoT's and others' improvements and evolving thought processes and its a wonderful thing to see and experience. GoT is a very helpful and nice guy with a very good knowledge of the game.

since i started playing 15/30 online i've run into GoT a few times and we usually have a pretty funny time at the same table. he's taught me enough to repay those posters who taught him.

i've learned so much its insane from this forum. GoT is certainly on my list of those who have helped me the most. and how dare you forget SKP!! he dominated the older archives! not to mention abdul before his unfortunate conflict with mason.

best of luck to you G. you've earned it.
Sincerely,
-Barron

bernie
05-14-2004, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and how dare you forget SKP!! he dominated the older archives! not to mention abdul before his unfortunate conflict with mason.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many i left out. Because this thread wasnt about them. It's about GoT. Got it?

b

lefty rosen
05-14-2004, 01:19 AM
I agree about the boom for online sites, but live games have been just as soft for years, and will stay that way. The problem with live games are the waiting lists and higher rake and food costs and transportation costs. As for his career choice if it's about emotional fulfillment then it's the right choice. But if he wants economic mobility he should at least get a degree in a field that he would want to be in as a career back up.

nolanfan34
05-14-2004, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, how you can't find time for 20/hr a week of poker while attending college is beyond me. I spent twice that drinking beer and playing computer games when I was in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I think I spent at least 20 hrs/week sleeping through classes my first two years at college.

This has been an interesting thread. Somehow it went from GoT thanking many of the top posters, to kudos to his successes, to a stay in school rant, to Kobe Bryant (?).

None of it really matters, GoT I know you'll do your own thing. But man, I would never leave the college environment any earlier than possible. Too much fun to be had, my 4 years wasn't long enough IMO. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do agree a degree is valuable. But it sounds like you've got a plan, and I say go for it. School will always be there. Online poker fishes may not be.

Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

DcifrThs
05-14-2004, 11:41 AM
:hangs head in shame:

bernie is right again.

Go GoT Go!
-Barron

Cptkernow
05-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Poker =Lot of Money.
Education = Priceless.

You cant put a price on being an educated human being. Having an education will add a richness and depth to your entire life.

So I would advise not thinking about your collage career as a means to and end (Job) but as an ends in itself (Education).

However you are at an American college alot of which are rubbish. The one I attended for a year (LSU) was academicaly a joke compared to my english university. Dont get me wrong, I can see how it prepared its students for the job market and the world or work ( Much stricter control of time and space than in a British University ) its just that it wasnt hot at all on education for educations sake. This can be demonstrated in the class and exam structure. At LSU we had feckin quizes, these so pissed me off. You get asked a question you can not fail to answer if you have read a given text, but is immpossible if you havent. At the end of the course you were graded on one essay and 1.5 hour exam.

I didnt even attend a prestigous British university but it was much tougher than this. At Swansea University a given course lasted exactly a year you were marked on 4 essays. The essays had to be to a much tougher standard full of quotations and demonstrating a much more rigourous standard of research by the student. Exams lasted 4 hours and you had 2 for each course equalling a whole 8 hours of exams for each course. Each exam consisted of answering 4 essay questions that again had to demonstrate a rigourous standard of research by the student.

In contrast to the American system I rarely had more than 6 hours of class a week and half of this was not cumpulsory. The way it worked was yea we give you lots of free time, we expect you to use it as responsible adults and use it to do research and reading which of course you wont and therfore the 6 months before your final exams are a living hell as you attempt to catch up, because if you walk into the exam hall unprepared you are totaly fecked and there in no way out.

Maybe you dont have to consider education as it might not actualy be on offer at your particular institution.

Therfore maybe you can spend your poker winnings on attending a University of your choice. Go for one in Ireland, not because of thier academic excellence but because this would be a great place for you to spend some time and you would pick up alot of extra curricular education in Irish bars, of which there are more per capita than any other place I have visited.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Raiser
05-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Hey Guy,

This is redundant with some of the other posts, but I'll throw it in anyway.

As a middle aged male with a "real" job, I can say that if you are successful enough to do what you love without needing college, then more power to you. Honestly, I'm a bit jealous. I love poker, but have a mere fraction of the ability that you have shown to the 2+2 community. You are definitely young enough that if you tire of poker, you can go to college and become successful at whatever you choose. As long as you are supporting yourself, I say enjoy these times that you don't have a boss.

And as a p.s. thanks for all of your tremendous posts and replies. As a micro limit player, I find it very satisfying when the the pooh-bahs come by the micro forum to lend some advice - whether or not they agree with me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,
Raiser