PDA

View Full Version : is this just another bad beat?

cianosheehan
05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero raises, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (14.40 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players) </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (9.70 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (14.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets, CO folds, Hero folds, BB raises, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 18.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 9s Tc (straight, queen high).
MP3 shows 4h As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: BB wins 18.70 BB. </font>

I folded the river because I knew Id have to be beaten at that stage. I thought someone was waiting for the flush, didnt think the straight would win it.
Any comments?
Could I have played it better?
Cheers

SoCalPat
05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
First, this hardly qualifies as a bad beat. Not even close.

Second, I'd be reluctant to fold here. Did someone really go runner-runner on me for a flush? If someone has an ace, why wasn't I raised or bet into on the turn?

The key for calling here is that you have just one bettor before you. Had there been several overcalls to you, I could see folding here. And if it's raised behind you (which it was), you're obviously outta there too. But at these limits, you have no idea what these clowns are betting.

Given the same scenario, I would call. But hey, if you're making reads like this all the time at these limits, more power to you.

SofaCoach
05-07-2004, 05:49 PM
BB had a double gutshot draw (Jack OR 7 gives him the straight) which is essentially the same as OESD so not a bad beat. And I agree with Pat, call the river bet. You are likely beat but for one BB make him prove it (17 times in a row). Fold to the raise behind.