PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury rules!!!!!!

jonnyv
05-07-2004, 01:22 PM
I was playing 6-12 yesterday at Canterbury when I get dealt pocket rockets and raise from mp I get one lp caller and the flop comes Q99 I bet and he smooth calls. Turn is the ace and a betting war begins. After the 8-9 raise I realize he has quad nines and just call. The river is the Q for Q99AQ. I check he bets, I raise, he reraises and now I know I have taken the worst beat of my life and with a huge smile on my face I pay off the bet and flip over the aces. He flips over his pocket 9's and the whole table goes nuts as I just won the bad beat jackpot for $20,000 dollars! The winner got ten grand and everyone at the table got 1400. Wow, what a day!! Any two+twoers up there at 1:30pm to see this? Best part was telling my wife I won a little and told her about the bad beat and she asks why I am so happy? I pull the check out of my pocket and she starts screaming!!! OHHHH Yeah, it was a good night!!!!

oddjob
05-07-2004, 03:39 PM
winner got $10k? damn most places give the losing hand the big portion. too bad you didn't have the quad 9s

Kevmath
05-07-2004, 05:46 PM
He did::
Aces full 20K (50%)
Quad 9's 10K (25%)
Everyone else 1400 (25% split among the rest)

Kevin...

Vehn
05-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Gratz!

daryn
05-09-2004, 10:47 PM
congratulations.

BUT

isn't a bad beat jackpot just like playing the lottery? everyone seems to be in favor of them, but it's not like they are giving away money right? or are they? i thought the jackpot was solely funded by an extra drop charged to everyone. if that were the case, you're no better off then you would be if you played powerball.

anyone?

CrazyEyez
05-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Powerball doesn't pay back 100% of ticket sales. As I understand the bad-beat jackpot, it's owned by the players and pays out everything it takes in.

RED_RAIN
05-10-2004, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
congratulations.

BUT

isn't a bad beat jackpot just like playing the lottery? everyone seems to be in favor of them, but it's not like they are giving away money right? or are they? i thought the jackpot was solely funded by an extra drop charged to everyone. if that were the case, you're no better off then you would be if you played powerball.

anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Each hand there is a $1 dropped into the bad beat jackpot. Not sure if it goes up or not depending on size of pot. But there is this side pull. Then they restart the pot at a certain minimum.

Vehn
05-10-2004, 02:07 AM
No, $1 per pot is dropped down the "bad beat jackpot" slot. Only $.75 actually goes into the jackpot.

I know, try not to sound so shocked.

daryn
05-10-2004, 08:58 AM
so like i said, a -EV proposition?

chrisdhal
05-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Yes, definitely (IMHO).

I'm still at the low limits (3/6), so that extra $1 sucks. It's bad enough that the rake is proportionately bad at that level, but the jackpot drop hurts it even more. Canterbury does try to make it semi-better though by having two jackpots going at once. That way if one is awarded that other one is already being built up, ie. it doesn't start super low. I'd still rather not have it though.

Granted, it's not quite as bad as it is in California where they take a SB on the button too, but it's still pretty bad, especially if you're at the low limits.

daryn
05-10-2004, 11:19 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Yes, definitely (IMHO).

[/ QUOTE ]

not that whether or not it is + or - EV should have anything to do with your opinion /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jonnyv
05-10-2004, 11:40 AM
I must also thank Vehn for his advice to play the 6-12 game because of the size of my bankroll. I wanted to play the 8-16 or 15-30, but started at the 6-12. I have to add that in 3 hours of play I was up close to 500 dollars because of how easy this game was to beat. This includes 45 minutes of not even playing a hand unless in the blinds.
The 6-12 is very beatable and you can beat the rake. I will try the 8-16 and 15-30 the next trip up to see how good the players are. There was only one other good player at my table and we stayed out of each others way and he also was up at least 500. He was the one that won the jackpot hand with quad 9's and I put him on the hand on the turn. If it was anyone else at the table I would not have known for sure.
My second favorite hand of the day is when I called from mp with AJo and a bad player on tilt called from lp. He bet the flop and turn with rags on the board and I had a good read on him so when he bet the river I raised knowing he would muck. To my surprise he calls and I show him my ace high and he mucks.
I want to again thank Vehn for his advice and I guess now bankroll issues are not a problem. I look forward to trying the higher limits and will post my results. I can't stress enough how this forum has turned me from a weak tight player to a winning tight agressive player. This forum is a hidden gem and I hope more people do not find out about it. The information here is golden as being able to get feedback from several different skilled players on specific hands has really turned my game around. The archives have some great content in them if you are willing to put the time in to read them.
I would like to meet some 2+2ers who play at Canterbury on a regular basis. PM me if you are interested and will let you know when I'm going next.

Mackie
05-10-2004, 12:29 PM
If you read the fine print Cantebury takes an "administration fee" from the jackpot, I think it's 15%.

The only thing jackpots are good for is encouraging people to play too many hands after they see someone win 70k with K3o. Since most people play too many hands already anyway it's not worth it. Thankfully 15-30 is available w/o the jp drop, of course this only helps if you have the bankroll.

RED_RAIN
05-10-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you read the fine print Cantebury takes an "administration fee" from the jackpot, I think it's 15%.

The only thing jackpots are good for is encouraging people to play too many hands after they see someone win 70k with K3o. Since most people play too many hands already anyway it's not worth it. Thankfully 15-30 is available w/o the jp drop, of course this only helps if you have the bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't win the jackpot with K3o. Has to be something better than Aces full of 10s beating that hand using both hole cards etc. I forget all the conditions.

chrisdhal
05-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Yep, Aces full:

Canterbury Jackpots (http://www.canterburypark.com/admin/jackpots/jackpots.htm)

What does happen is that people will post immediately when they come to the table, no matter where the button is. "Just in case." At the low limits, I guess a SB is worth it in case it comes up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mackie
05-10-2004, 03:10 PM
Yes you can. It has happened at Canterbury, somewhat of a famous jackpot. Rich Gardner (I think that's his name, his board name is "fish") made quad 3s with a K kicker and lost to bigger quads. When both hands use both hole cards, as they did in this case, quads over quads is a jackpot.

The rule there is Aces full of tens or better must be beaten by quads or better. In fact the only possible hand that cannot hit the jackpot there is 23o.

Mackie
05-10-2004, 03:23 PM
The "or better" part includes hands better than aces full. It's not written well, but you do not have to have aces full to hit a hold'em jackpot at Canterbury.

CORed
05-10-2004, 07:14 PM
They're nice if you hit them (I never have. Not even a table share), but I agree with you. I'd rather that dollar or two stayed in the pot.

CORed
05-10-2004, 07:16 PM
If the house keeps 25%, it really sucks. In Colorado, the entire drop goes to the jackpot.

CrazyEyez
05-10-2004, 08:38 PM
I didn't want to know that.

Andy B
05-11-2004, 02:15 AM
The house keeps 10% to cover "administrative costs." This amounts to several hundred dollars a day. I don't know what the actual administrative costs are, but if it really costs them several hundred dollars a day, they could use an efficiency expert. Anyway, another 15% goes towards promotional give-aways--cash drawings, high hand of the hour, Aces always win, double jackpots, etc.

Are you absolutely sure that 100% of the money goes to the jackpot in CO? That isn't the norm.

Andy B
05-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Actually, if memory serves, Fish's quad Treys lost to a straight flush. There's another guy who didn't really need the money, either.

Andy B
05-11-2004, 02:29 AM
You're right. I can't win a jackpot with K3o, because I won't play it for half-a-bet in the small blind. Fish has a lot more imagination than I do, he did, and he got paid. The requirements are:

Aces full of Tens or better has to be beaten by quads or better.

Both hole cards in both hands must play. Ties are OK, so if you have AT vs. AA on an ATTTx board, they'll pay that.

If you are playing Aces full, you must have an Ace in your hand.

That last one is a kicker for me, because I had QQ on an AAA board and lost to the case Ace. I would have gotten paid in California.