PDA

View Full Version : Micro: 77 on button

06-28-2002, 12:43 PM
Had 77 on the button in a micro-limit OL game, very loose passive. 3 players limp, I call because I won't knock anyone out with a raise based on the play so far (mistake?). SB limps, BB calls.

Flop is 7s 9s 4c

It is checked around to me, and I bet. 4 players call.

Next card is Qd. Checked around again. I bet, all but UTG and MP player fold.

Final card is 10c. Checked around again. I bet out. UTG raises, other folds.

I look at the board and figure the guy hit two pair with the 10, but am worried about a suck-out staight, and call.

This last call is my question. Should I have raised? Should I have folded?

Results to follow.

06-28-2002, 12:56 PM
T9 is a MUCH more likely holding than 86 or J8. Go ahead and raise. Sure you'll loose an extra two bets when he hit a straight. But you'll run into T9 (or some other hand you can beat) more than the 2/3 of the time you need to for your three bet to be correct.

The idea of folding here should never enter your mind unless you are against a player you know will never check-raise without the nuts.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

06-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Pre-flop I wouldn't raise here....you don't want to knock out SB or BB if they wanna play in hopes that you catch your set and they catch a little something as well to pay you off.

A river straight would look pretty awful

KJ or J8 for a runner runner hit both being gutshot cards....or a 86, I don't know, but maybe....I think a 2 pair got there and you should reraise. I don't think you can consider a fold here.

Allan

06-28-2002, 02:00 PM
He turns over J8, unsuited no less from UTG, and takes it down with the rivered gutshot.

Was my call absolutely wrong here, as opposed to just a bit overly cautious, compared to a re-raise?

06-28-2002, 02:35 PM
In these situations my experience is if he had made his 5 outer (two pair in this case) on the river he would have bet, fearing a) that you won't bet the river with 2 overcards to the flop on 4th & 5th and b) that you have a better hand and would 3 bet a checkraise. The checkraise most likely means a straight since he's not scared about a 3 bet. He probably has KJ, hopefully KsJs so you don't feel too bad. Folding here would be insane.